No Print-Separations option?!?! - Quark 10

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
967stuart

Post by 967stuart » 24 Oct 2013, 00:13

Surly this must be a mistake?

How can they just do away with the 'print separations' feature??

As a printer (and there is lots of us that use quark in the print industry) I'm absolutly stunned that they've binned off this.

967stuart

Post by 967stuart » 28 Oct 2013, 04:08

BUMP

grahamdyas

Post by grahamdyas » 29 Oct 2013, 00:36

Apparently us printers are all supposed to own the latest up to date output devices with intelligent rips that read minds and know which plates that you want to output. They even know how much trap you need as well because most the the trapping features have been removed in favour of more features for publishing to the internet or mobile devices. If you're in the flexographic, silkscreen or small run print industry or, like most, are tightening your belts and not spending huge sums on the latest equipment, I'm afraid your stuffed with quark. Time to move on to pastures green and try out other software more printer friendly.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 29 Oct 2013, 04:32

Quark has moved to a PDF (modern) workflow. While I don't like it, it is what it is for now--hopefully enough people will complain. For now I am keeping Version 9 installed and am using it.

967stuart

Post by 967stuart » 29 Oct 2013, 21:07

The problem for us is that we receive upto 40 or 50 various forms of artwork a day, we need to run out colour separations to pin in the job ticket so the machine minders can check each plate (and so we can see that the job is separating properly), this option has been available in every single prior version of Quark.
We've stuck with quark since it come onto the market so it's not very nice to feel like we're in a position that we have to collectively complain or Quark simply couldn't give a damn about us.
Still, I here very good things about Indesign these days, time to move on I guess.
Oh, and I would add that it's very telling that no one from Quark has even bothered to comment on this thread (whilst they seem to like to promote themselves plenty of other threads).
Says it all.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 30 Oct 2013, 06:18

I use QXP and ID (and others) most every day. So I understand. Love your avatar for your profile--at least what I can see of it. Got a bigger version of it?

967stuart

Post by 967stuart » 30 Oct 2013, 06:28

Here you go -

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 30 Oct 2013, 06:35

Hah--the highlight of my day. Thanks a lot.

gpxguyWA

Post by gpxguyWA » 15 Nov 2013, 08:38

This too is frustrating for me. The same thing happened with Quark 9. They quickly fixed it with a XML cookie. Doesn't seem like they are willing to that this time. I haven't made the upgrade yet, and won't until this is fixed. I have talked with support (indirectly because unless you have a service plan or are in your 90-day warranty period, they won't talk to you) I can't see purchasing this upgrade if I can't send files to my RIP. We have a Harlequin RIP that came with our AB Dick 2340 platesetter. If anyone knows how to set the RIP to take Quarks files, let me know. I have talked with Matthias Guenther in the past about this issue. Apparantly he is out on paternity leave. From those discussions, Quark did this change on purpose and I explained in detail to him why this was a mistake and he said he would take it to the powers that be to see if they would reconsider their decision and it seems from Quark 10 that they won't.I've already told Quark that unless they fix this issue, its time to jump ship. I've been a Quark license owner since 1995 and have always hated how they treat their customers. To tell me that I must buy this upgrade to find out if they will or will not fix this issue is B.S., and in my business, if I can't print proper separations, then I don't need to pour any more money into their software.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”