Xerox WorkCentre 7335 nightmares

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
todd.certcoit

Post by todd.certcoit » 25 Jun 2009, 05:10

Hello,The advertising department where I work (I'm in the IT department) recently replaced their Phaser 7700 and HP 8100 with one of these new color all-in-one machines from Xerox. They are having difficulties printing, often jobs from Quark refuse to print, the printer returns a generic PostScript error. Our machines and Quark versions are:G5, 10.3.9, Quark 6.52G5, 10.4.11, Quark 6.52 and 7.5G4, 10.5.7, Quark 7.3.1Core 2 Duo Mini, 10.4.11, Quark 7.3I cannot install the CUPS filter on the 10.3.9 machine as the OS version is too old. I have the CUPS filter on the 10.4.11 G5 and on the G4, and I believe the Mini has an older version of the CUPS filter on it. Xerox support insists that it is a Quark issue as normal applications print to the machine just fine. I've gone through the PPD managers, those check out. The Xerox driver is the latest (and only) version on their web site. Troubleshooting Quark is difficult as I do not know that application and depend on what the users tell me, which isn't often clear. I'm basically hunting and pecking when I try to test print. Xerox suggested a workaround of having Quark print as PDF, then printing the PDF. This works, but the users are unhappy with the extra steps.Thanks for any insights, I'm stumped. :(Todd Phipps

imsoblonde

Post by imsoblonde » 25 Jun 2009, 05:46

Hi Todd - just to add my 2 cents in - and to make you feel better....we have been having the same issues as well... we recently changed our printers to CANON - we were using Konica Minolta printers prior to this - and I add NO PROBLEMS printing. Since the installation of the Canon printers - we have had no end of problems printing to them - and again - Canon has insisted it is a Quark problem. So it may indeed appear that Quark has issues - we have gone the CUPS route as well - tried numerous work arounds - and I generally end up printing to a pdf in order to print... What is weird is that I can print a single or multi page quark document without any problems. As soon as I try to access the secondary features - such as booklet printing - it won't work. When we used the minolta - I had the option of printing documents - whether or not I had them set up in single page layouts - or as printers flats - (e.g. - I sometimes do 11 x 17 - but I set them with 8 x 10 - in each half - and I could print either way) - no I have had to redo a lot of my documents into single page layouts or I can't print at all! They also provided me with another work around - with involves me saving my document - uploading it to the printer site - saving it - then downloading it back to the printer and then printing... Fun eh? FYI - I am running OSX - Leopard and Quark 7.5.

ayanefan

Post by ayanefan » 23 Jul 2009, 01:42

I believe the latest software release for the 73xx machines is on xerox.com, download and install the latest 1.227.4 firmware for the machine (once downloaded, go to the 73xx web page and do a manual upgrade, point to the dlm file (or bin) and install), this will take about 20 minutes.
After that, call the Xerox tech support line and ask for 2nd level support, get a log number. When you speak to 2nd level, ask for the latest 1.1.9 OS X driver for the 7345, it is not released yet so it is a SPAR driver, if they cannot get it for you then they are not the correct people you are speaking with, this will need to be escalated again to their 2nd level.
Once you have the new driver, remove the current driver from your system. Go to the en.lproj folder and remove the Xerox 7328 ppd in this folder. Empty the trash and install the new driver. Create a new printer with the new driver.
When printing, on Quark 8x (I'm not sure if it is on Quark 7), go file print, do all your changes to print to the machine but press Preview rather than Print, when the preview screen comes up then press print.
The magic is really in the 1.227.4 software version, it fixed many 10-xxx errors when asking for booklet prints.

todd.certcoit

Post by todd.certcoit » 23 Jul 2009, 02:51

I'll install the newest firmware this morning. I already have a line open with 2nd level, including the support person's direct number, so I'll call him after that's done and ask for that 7345 driver.Maybe this will finally get it working...Todd Phipps

todd.certcoit

Post by todd.certcoit » 23 Jul 2009, 07:27

I'm guardedly optimistic...they're able to print. Some documents are missing some type even though there are other blocks of the same type elsewhere on the document, but that problem seems to have been going on. But the options are available and they can print...now just to see if 2-sided works.Crossing fingers...TP

ayanefan

Post by ayanefan » 23 Jul 2009, 13:24

Good start! Hope it works.

cheerios

Post by cheerios » 18 Sep 2009, 12:51

Hello!

My users are getting PostScript Errors when printing to their 7335 - ever since they (just) upgraded to Leopard. I've upgraded the machine firmware but still no joy (just with PostScript - images print fine) - and I believe that 1.1.9 OS X SPAR driver that was mentioned earlier may be my last resort. Does anyone still have a copy they could PM me or an FTP link, by chance?
2nd Tier is being unhelpful because this particular company I am doing IT management for is in Switzerland and its serial is an European Serial... except I have architects and designers coming to work tomorrow, that can't print from their design software - I can't afford to wait until Monday so I can spend two hours on the phone with Europe... to then end up patched back to 2nd Tier in the US anyways (UGH).
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

cheerios

Post by cheerios » 22 Sep 2009, 08:22

Found a driver specific to the 73xx series that worked, http://www.support.xerox.com/go/getfile ... load&uType

Thanks Jacques!

note: I deleted the other Xerox PPDs in /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/; and then ran the install progra contained in the above download. I had the install program detect and set up the printer queue as well.

todd.certcoit

Post by todd.certcoit » 22 Sep 2009, 09:51

The beta driver works, though 2-sided is dodgy and it will not let them select a range of pages or a single page in the middle of a range to print. It ends up printing the first page. As before, this is only in Quark. Other Mac apps work with the driver without issue. Why is Quark such a royal pain when it comes to playing nice with printers?

jomara

Post by jomara » 23 Sep 2009, 03:18

I too am a mac IT Manager (publishing company) who experienced this problem with a couple of 7328s.I haven't yet installed the latest .4 firmware (we're still running the .2) but I managed to fix this problem to an extent (I had to disable the printer-specific features in the process, and so set up a 'Quark' printer as well as a '7328' printer on each machine the latter using the standard driver, and the former using that driver edited by myself.I've found that if you remove the portion of the driver that relates to CUPS printing, though you do lose the advanced printer features, Quark on a mac will print to the 7328 no problem.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”