Quark 6.1 Cannot Print

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
ica1972

Quark 6.1 Cannot Print

Post by ica1972 » 16 Aug 2004, 09:00

Running 6.0 or 6.1 on a dual 1.25Mhz G4, Panther, 784MB RAM.

Can't print a .ps, export a PDF or print to a Xerox 2135 printer. It tries and dies when printing, dies on exporting a PDF and prints an "empty" ps.

Two of three machines are doing this, the other is just fine.

This is the pits, Quark. I've been a loyal user for ten years and then you give us this stuff?

We've stopped using 6.x at all due to corrupt documents, font boxes, etc. This printing issue doesn't help, either!

lkneppel

Quark 6.1 Cannot Print

Post by lkneppel » 18 Aug 2004, 14:35

Old fonts can be a problem. Apparently some font resources in them are outdated for use with OS X. We all know a bad font file can cause mayhem all over one's system and sometimes be very difficult to diagnose.

Don't despair. You don't necessarily need to replace your fonts with new ones. Use a font utility like FontDoctor to diagnose and repair the old fonts. It will update the bits that need to be updated and your fonts ought to become usable again. I was amazed at how many of the 500+ fonts we own needed repairing, but many of these fonts were ancient purchases. Some with 1980's copyright dates. They all work now and we recently put 37 users on Quark 6.1 on G5's running Panther. We manage fonts using Suitcase Server X1. Most of our problems come from people converting old QXP 4 templates to 6 and not building them from scratch in 6.

Hope that helps,
Laura K.
Mac network Admin

PhilipTobias

Quark 6.1 Cannot Print

Post by PhilipTobias » 18 Aug 2004, 17:57

>>Old fonts can be a problem. Apparently some font resources in them are outdated for use with OS X. We all know a bad font file can cause mayhem all over one's system and sometimes be very difficult to diagnose.

Yes, QuarkXPress v6x apparently chokes on some fonts and then won't print or distill PDFs. But how come Adobe InDesign, AppleWorks, Tex-Edit Plus, and all other programs I've tried, output fine with the *exact same* fonts?

Are the fonts buggy, or is XPress?

...pt

ehausauer

Quark 6.1 Cannot Print

Post by ehausauer » 23 Aug 2004, 10:00

I find it hard to believe fonts are the issue when we can print from machines running qx6.1 but the fourth will not print the same job. These jobs can have fonts in them or they can be FPOs only, or even OPI link files of RIPped pages.

It is only happening from Quark, not ID CS.

grmgroup

Quark 6.1 Cannot Print

Post by grmgroup » 23 Aug 2004, 10:41

Why doesn't QX just see the printers I have installed like every other app does in X. I switched over to ID 18 months ago but received a QX6 file last week so I took the plunge and upgraded to 6.1. As usual, Quark continued their sterling history of poorly maintaining and upgrading their product. This is the first time I've had to install printer PPD's since switching to X. Can't print to my GCC or StylusRIP. They show up in the print window within Quark but the files don't actually print. The GCC progress light blinks once and the stylus progress window doesn't even show the file at all. The printer icon also never activates in X indicating a print job in progress. I've been printing to PDF and opening in Acrobat 6 and printing but that's just a workaround.

Don't get me started on fonts. I've been in X for 2 years. Took a while to figure it out but fonts are emphatically not the issue for me anymore. Quark just did a poor job, as usual, upgrading their product. They ported an OS9 app to X w/o implementing upgrades to ensure product would work properly. Bad enough they tried to charge me more to upgrade from 4 to 6 because I didn't buy the unusable ver. 5 which no one was buying. Still irks me to no end that QX constantly gouged me for mediocre upgrades when they had the field to themselves. I am soooo glad I made the switch to ID. Well worth the learning curve of implementing X and ID at the same time. My troubles are behind me - except when I use QX. Oh, I liked the announcement that ver 6.5 & 7 will have "InDesign-like interface." :x

angeloso

Quark 6.1 Cannot Print

Post by angeloso » 23 Aug 2004, 17:17

YES! By changing the permissions to "read and write" to all folders containing your fonts it will make it to work again. (Fonts folders being handled by Suitcase, fonts folder in your system/library/fonts or Fonts folder in User/Library/Fonts)

Click also "Apply this to all containing folders"

It worked for me.

Thanks a million...it just saved my week!

grmgroup

Quark 6.1 Cannot Print

Post by grmgroup » 24 Aug 2004, 08:10

My permissions have always been set to read and write and I am the admin. Still no printing for me.

bhurley

Quark 6.1 Cannot Print

Post by bhurley » 26 Aug 2004, 16:24

Have the same problem...But discovered if I print a Low Res version, it prints OK.....?????

bobdow

Quark 6.1 Cannot Print

Post by bobdow » 01 Sep 2004, 16:54

Hi,

after much weeeping and gnashing of teeth, we found that the problem didn't exist when we logged out and logged in as another user.

so, I created a second user on each machine... moved user files to -> shared

logged out

logged back in as user 2 repaireed permissions

same files, same Quark, same FontReserve... everything was ok. i can print.

this was faster than digging in and trying to figure out what CUPS was doing with the files.

slash and burn if you will.

[/b]

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”