Is there a simple way to create printer spreads?

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
minuteman

Post by minuteman » 03 Jun 2004, 11:02

I have had this issue for years and hoped that Quark 6.1 would fix it, but as far as I know, they haven't. Is there a quick and easy way to print "printer spreads" of a newsletter-type document while keeping the page numbers intact? (I number the pages using the master pages).

I create lots of 8-page newsletters and would love to be able to lay them out with correct page numbers, etc. in reader spreads but then in the end, print them as printer spreads. Right now I am taking each page, creating a new section start to keep the page number correct, and manually rearranging them to make the new spreads -- a big pain. Any thoughts? I am chagrined that Microsoft Publisher can do this but Quark does not seem to be able to!

ekendra

Post by ekendra » 03 Jun 2004, 11:41

Very simple solution...

Open the Section dialog box for each page and assign each to be a Section Start with a defined page number.

(this works best if you are using non-facing pages in the layout, although it does work with facing pages too.)

For the 8-page printer-spread layout, you can then drag pg. 1 opposite 8 in the Page Layout palette; drag 7 opposite page 2, and drag 6 opposite page 3.

minuteman

Post by minuteman » 03 Jun 2004, 12:04

Yeah, that's how I've been doing it, and for 8-page docs it's not too big a deal, but I just finished a 64-page book and that was a major hassle. I guess there isn't another way to do it...?

ReneG

Post by ReneG » 03 Jun 2004, 12:17

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]minuteman:[/strong] I guess there isn't another way to do it...?

I don't think you can do it from Quark alone, you'll need an extension called "Bookletizer[/img]
$69

almaink

Post by almaink » 03 Jun 2004, 12:44

Bookletizer all the way. I just downloaded the demo and it works great. $20.00 upgrade if you own the Quark4/5 version.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”