Printing separations from 4.11

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
cchapin

Post by cchapin » 02 Jun 2004, 15:35

I am totally frustrated. I have a rather simple 2 color newsletter that I am getting ready to collect for output. I always check my files by printing separations on my laser printer before I collect the file. Every time I try to print the seps I get a postscript error. The composite prints fine.I have done everything I can think of. Checked and renamed and reimported all graphics, did the thumbnail drag to recreate the file, run Disk Warrior, repaired permissions. What else? I am out of ideas.

Inez

Post by Inez » 02 Jun 2004, 21:33

I'm not sure I'm going to have the answer, but more details are needed. Are the images you're importing spot color? How were they saved? I'd almost be willing to bet that one of them is the culprit. If there aren't many you can try the old, drag one off the page, try to print seps, see if you get an error... no error, put it back and try another and so on till you find the culprit. I assume you don't have a preflight. You can download a trial of the QC plugin from Gluon and give it a whirl. I think Markzware still has a freebie version of FlightCheck as well. I feel your pain when your work should be done but there's this one last gremlin you can't find or identify.

Are you using any new fonts? Do any of the images have clipping paths (sometimes way to many points will kill output)?

inez
Quark 4.11, Mac OS 9.2.2

cchapin

Post by cchapin » 03 Jun 2004, 07:56

Yes, the images are spot color. I have several that are Illustrator files and one that is a photoshop monotone eps file. No clipping path. I haven't tried dragging them off the page. I resaved and renamed them all and then reimported. I also did the thumbnail drag. I checked the fonts by replacing all of them with different fonts. I do have flightcheck and it picked up nothing.

I will try your suggestion. Thanks for the response.

Inez

Post by Inez » 03 Jun 2004, 11:24

Please let the forum know when you put your finger on the problem.

Did you run FlightCheck on the image files themselves or just on the Quark file? My first inclination would be to suspect the Photoshop file, but not knowing how you saved each file or all your settings in Quark it could still be several things.

If you identify the file by a process of elimination maybe I or someone else can help you figure out what is wrong with the file. I should have mentioned that, if it's a major placement hassle moving the images off and back on, you can also just suppress print out (under Modify) of each image at a time.

Also (this is something I always forget about) have you tried checking on the PostScript Error Handler in your print options? It might well help you find the problem.

I apologize that I've forgotten to mention some of these things, but I've been without a postscript print for some time now. If a problem doesn't show up during print to file, I'll never know.

Good luck, and let us know,
inez

cchapin

Post by cchapin » 03 Jun 2004, 11:30

Thank you for the addtional information. I did what you suggested earlier - moved the graphics one at a time off the page. Turned out it was a piece of clip art that I had modified in Illustrator. I got the original black and white image, added my colors again and imported into Quark. Had the problem again. I finally changed all of the graduations (very simple ones using only one color) to solid colors and that seemed to solve the problem. I really don't know why the gradiations didn't work, but at least the file is working fine now. I think sometimes you never know exactly what the problem is! Thanks again.

Inez

Post by Inez » 03 Jun 2004, 11:48

Congrats on killing the dastardly culprit :D

I am just learning some of the intricacies of Illustrator, but know it can be tricky about spot colors. Now I know I must look into dealing with gradients carefully. Thanks for letting us know.

Inez

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”