Completely Disapointed with Version 10

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
rogerp

Post by rogerp » 25 Apr 2014, 05:48

I am so upset and disapointed by Quark and Quarkxpress I can hardly stand it!
I've used Quark version 9 for years, but can't get this new version to work. I've tried and tried to import PDFs into picture boxes, but when I print to a printer or export or print toa pdf file the results is a disaster. The pictures are either cropped or mangled.
I can't get any help with this buggy program. They won't let me get any techinical help and the complaint I put in has not been answered. I put in a purchase request, but I've changed my mind. I don't want to deal with Quark or its nonfunctioning software.
Roger

hamster_gill

Post by hamster_gill » 27 Apr 2014, 23:11

Can anyone help? I have just upgraded my PC to Quark 10, crashes all the time, it's slow, displays in bright colours like it's broken, don't know what to do .. complete waste of money with no technical support ...

artman51

Post by artman51 » 12 May 2014, 12:22

You are not the only one. I feel that Quark has abandoned print professionals. I can work fine in 10 & quite like it, but when I try to produce PDF files for the print shop all hell breaks loose!I started using Quark XPress in 1994 and I used to tell everyone how great it was & not to bother w/ InDesign.Q9 was riddled w/ buggy behavior, but this is useless w/out proper PDF output. Q8 was the last version that was trouble free.How could they release Q10 in this condition?How could they not have fixed it since Sept 2013?A Very Disappointed 20 yrs user!

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 13 May 2014, 04:25

artman51 wrote:Q8 was the last version that was trouble free.

I have to argue with you on that.[:D]
Obviously you did not use a PowerPC Mac with XPress 8.x Or if you did, you handled documents of only one or two pages. XPress 8 was optimized for Intel and consequently PowerPC users got screwed. XPress 8's type engine calculates all text even on pages not being viewed. So, if you make an edit QXP 8 recalculates all pages instead of just the one's on screen at the moment.
When you're dealing with lots of tabloid size pages with 6 columns, 5 point type with 5 point leading, this is completely unworkable if you want to make any kind of deadline. We always had to do our Classifieds and Legals in QXP 6.5.1 and then bring them in to our newspaper document later in XPress 8.
And don't even get me started on the Roger Rabbit GUI!
In an attempt to address your issue though, keep in mind that historically, XPress has always handled EPS better than PDF. InDesign is the opposite. I can't speak to XPress 9/10 because I have not really used them, but if we were going to make a multipage PDF in XPress 8 we would export a postscript file with native transparency. XPress 8 has the wonderful ability using PDFMarks to maintain transparency inside a PS file. With a minor tweak in the job setting file for Acrobat Distiller we just dropped the PS file in there and got a good PDF. Single page documents we just exported to EPS and dropped on Distiller.

I've never trusted XPress to export a decent self-made, press-ready PDF. It's gotten better over time, but it wasn't there in 8 (IMO). Expecting it to be there now is likely counterproductive. Let's not forget that it took Quark until XPress 7 to finally get drop shadows, transparency and the ability to embed fonts in a PDF without a third party XTension. It's now 2014 and from all reports XPress still CANNOT stroke text and keep it editable.
I know quite a few of the people behind the scenes though and I can say without any doubt that these are professionals who are always looking out for the print industry. They are always thinking of ways to make the product better for us.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 13 May 2014, 13:14

eyoungren wrote:and the ability to embed fonts in a PDF

Quoting myself because apparently you can'd edit moderator approved posts!
This line should read"and the ability to embed fonts in an EPS file

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”