Imported pdf in layout: bitmapped texts in output file

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
kjeld

Post by kjeld » 02 Feb 2014, 21:36

Hi all,

I facing issues with pdf-files (like ads) which are imported in a layout and then exported to a new pdf-file. Texts are bitmapped in the new pdf-file. Everything worked fine for years, until a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't do any updates.
Hope some is able to help me with this

I have tried several export settings like native or flattened, but this makes no difference.
I have tried on different machines and different versions of Quark (Quark 9.2.1 on Mac OS 10.6.8 / Quark 0.5.4.1 on Mac OS 10.8)
I have tried a clean system install and a clean install of Quark.
It happens with all kinds of pdf-files I receive from clients or create myself.

Original pdf

PDF from imported pdf

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 03 Feb 2014, 05:29

its clearly a flattening problem, most likely when JAWS is importing the pdf, rather than exporting. Do you have a quark version 8 to try?

kjeld

Post by kjeld » 03 Feb 2014, 21:16

Thanks, but I dont think it has something to do with importing.I just set the flattening resolution to 900 dpi and that makes the problem less big. Its still a little pixelated and no vector, but the output quality is better.

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 04 Feb 2014, 10:39

just a word of caution with using high flattening resolutions, you should double check that RIP settings don't automatically downsample before output, often Printers will "refine" and this could re introduce your problem. I used to have a separate queue to keep quark pdfs at 600ppi.you could try to Save As EPS from acrobat on the original pdf, this shifts the flattening responsibilities to Acrobat rather than quark.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 04 Feb 2014, 17:36

UtahLlama wrote:you could try to Save As EPS from acrobat on the original pdf, this shifts the flattening responsibilities to Acrobat rather than quark.

I second that. I worked in XPress for 13 years and this was our process for handling outside PDFs. Open in Acrobat, Save As EPS. Import the EPS.
Historically, XPress has always handled EPS better than PDF. The final output device handles the postscript code instead of XPress itself.
Be sure to embed fonts and if you are on a Mac, include a preview.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”