"Problem" with PDF Export since 9.5.2

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
Requiem_Phil

Post by Requiem_Phil » 20 Jun 2013, 22:27

Hi Quark-Users

Since I updated my Quark to 9.5.2. it writes after every PDF-Export a .ps-file in my folder "Documents" in the user root?
The export settings are exactly the same I used before update - I never had this before....

Why is this?

Greets Phil

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 21 Jun 2013, 01:23

Hi Phil,
I just tried it and I can't reproduce it.
What OS are you using please, any 3rd party XTensions?
And I am sure you have already checked preferences to directly create PDF? Have you tried deleting preferences?
Is it only with new documents, onyl with documents from previous versions or both?
Thanks
Matthias

Requiem_Phil

Post by Requiem_Phil » 21 Jun 2013, 02:00

Hi Matthias,

I use OS X 10.8.4 and I have exactly the same settings I used before I updated to 9.5.2. Writing directly as PDF...

I'm not the only one, there are a lot of Quark users in other forums they have the same "problem"

Greets Phil

Requiem_Phil

Post by Requiem_Phil » 21 Jun 2013, 02:06

Same with old and new files...

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 21 Jun 2013, 02:27

Hi Phil,
of course we believe you that you experience this behaviour. The first step for any software vendor to be able to fix an issue is that it is reproducible, as otherwise it is just guessing. Even when several customers experience the same problem, the main task is to find out what causes the issue to appear. And when it is not reproducible on some machines, it means there must be another factor that is causing this.
I use OS X 10.8.4 too. So let me get that right please:
You deleted preferences, restart QuarkXPress, check that the prefs say "Direct to PDF", you create a new document, put one picture box on the page, color it in cyan, export to PDF, choose Default settings, create the PDF on your Desktop. PDF gets created on the Desktop and now the problem comes: At the same time you find a .PS file in your Documents folder?
Thanks
Matthias

Requiem_Phil

Post by Requiem_Phil » 21 Jun 2013, 02:43

I do that before... but now I have some more infos:
The "problem" happened when I write Direct PDFs with my own PDFX-ready-Settings or the Quark Settings "PDF/-1a:2001" or "PDF/X-3:2002". With all the other Quark settings there is no .ps-File in the Documents folder.
It must be something with "berprfung" in the PDF settings... If there is "keine(e,r)" activated it doesn't happen with the .ps-File in the Documents folder....

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 21 Jun 2013, 02:48

Hi Phil,
yes, I can reproduce that now.
Let me see what our technicians sayand come back to you afterwards.

Thanks for your help!
Matthias

Requiem_Phil

Post by Requiem_Phil » 21 Jun 2013, 02:59

Great, thanks
Phil

schnerger

Post by schnerger » 21 Jun 2013, 23:56

Hi Matthias,have same problem on all Macs running 10.7.x and 10.8.x with the new QXP 9.5.2. Didn't you tell us that 9.5.2 will come with new pdf-features? At least it says so on the download-page. Of course Quark was not talking on .ps and .log files but I did not find any new pdf-export feature? Available documention, either in english or german, is only available up to 9.5.1. Or perhaps, I did not find the usual fixed and not fixed issues information. So until the issue is solved, it is delete .ps und .log.By the way: Will it be possible before QXO 10 is released to fix another QXP 9 pdf bug? Exporting e.g. a magazine (own PDF/X3 (2002) style) as single pages will stop QXP counting from page 1 onwards (QXP 8.5.2 still does it, even under OS X 10.8.4), nontheless the software does the job it has been told to do, just the windows which should show the progress remains "job done" already after page 1, even if the software has still 100 pages to do. At least QXP 9 behaves like this since 9.0 on all Macs I know, from 10.6.8 to 10.8.4. But, I have admit, I have not tried that with an all new pref-file and disabled XTs. I can live with this "feature", it is just a bit irritating.Regardsschnerger

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 23 Jun 2013, 22:28

Hi Schnerger,
we added a PDF feature for App Studio in 9.5.2, so this should be unrelated.
Yes, there seems to be at leats a clean up bug. When QuarkXPress creates a PDF/X it uses a 3rd party library to verify and certify the "X" status, maybe there the handshake doesn't work anymore. We are investingating.
Thanks
Matthias

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”