Quark 9 Problem with Flattening drop shadow text

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy » 18 Apr 2011, 06:35

I have a single page project (A4) with a photo covering the page. I placed a text headline on top of the photo - the text box has no fill - and apply a drop shadow to the text. When this project is exported to pdf with Quark set to flatten transparency the pdf output has the text with a white background (not transparent) so that the background photo is not visible under the text. Also, no drop shadow is seen on the text.Turning off the drop shadow and re-exporting renders the text correctly in a transparent box.Turning on drop shadow and setting Quark to output transparency natively the pdf looks OK with transparent text box and drop shadow correctly applied.Is this a problem with Q9? Or am I doing something wrong?I would expect to be able to let Q9 do the flattening as this is required for a verified pdf output.Thanks, Hoppy.

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 18 Apr 2011, 07:39

Hi Hoppy,
It might be possible to have a too high setting for the resolution of the drop shadow.

Go to File > Export > Layout as PDF, and in the dialog box press the Option... button. Go to Transparency and set a lower dpi value for Drop Shadows, while choosing Flatten Transparency option. Then export the layout to PDF. If it doesn't work, repeat this operation, and export again to PDF. Repeat this steps till the export is succesful.
If the final dpi value is too low (small) and some pixelating appears, you might want to export the layout with native transparency (and to flatten it within Acrobat, or to rasterise it in Photoshop), or to decrease the complexity of your artwork. Eventually, make the drop shadow for the text in a layered TIFF file in Photoshop.
Hope this helps.
Regards.

Hoppy

Post by Hoppy » 19 Apr 2011, 04:38

Max. Thanks for the suggestions, however reducing the drop shadow dpi to 72 still results in a text box with a white background (instead of no fill). Rather disappointing for high end dtp software. At least exporting with native transparency seems to work. However, I really would prefer to produce a flattened pdf file as I have had problems with a print house when I supplied a native pdf with drop shadows (the drop shadows didn't print). Regards, Hoppy.

ampegg66

Post by ampegg66 » 20 Apr 2011, 10:19

Is it possible that a spot color is in use within the transparency area, either in the background, or maybe as the drop shadow color itself? The white box is often a clue that transparency is being combined with a spot color, which Quark doesn't like.

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 20 Apr 2011, 12:11

ampegg66 wrote: Is it possible that a spot color is in use within the transparency area, either in the background, or maybe as the drop shadow color itself? The white box is often a clue that transparency is being combined with a spot color, which Quark doesn't like.
following on from this: check that Overprint Preview is turned on in Acrobat.

Dan Logan

Post by Dan Logan » 21 Apr 2011, 12:13

This might sound goofy but try this: simply move the text box a little (by just a few points) and resize it some. Does that change the result at all?
Or... try converting the text to paths by using Item > Convert Text to Boxes > Convert Entire Box, then apply the shadow to the resulting box(es).

-Dan

rv-

Post by rv- » 22 Apr 2011, 04:04

When flattening, it's important that all items are natively in the same color environnement (RVB or CMYK).

chandlerbing

Post by chandlerbing » 17 Oct 2013, 07:19

This doesn't seem to be normal Quark behavior. Oddly, the only way I can find to duplicate what you descibe is to use a white drop shadow and set Quark to "Ignore Transparency." Set Transparency Natively and Flatten both appear correctly for me. "Ignore Transparency" with any color drop shadow other than white gives me a box around the text which is the color that the drop shadow should have been. I'm not sure why my results would differ from yours.
(I know I'm late tagging in on this, but in case anyone else is having this problem it seems to me it's not typical. Maybe a corruption in the document, or the imported photo?)

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”