Quark 8 PDF Export Grayscale - Black text goes gray

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
Mike Heaslip

Post by Mike Heaslip » 23 Jan 2009, 07:52

As the subject describes, when Grayscale is selected when exporting to PDF, all text that is 100% black becomes gray (about 90%).This behavior is common to Quark 7 and 8, but exporting to PDF in Quark 6.5 is O.K.??

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 27 Jan 2009, 01:50

with quark6 you could turn off color management[:D]

with quark 7 and 8 you can't[:(] I expect this is your problem.

One solution is to output As Is. If your document is entirely grayscale this would work.

A longer untried solution would be to try and change the Grayscale ICC profile to be just the black ink of the cmyk icc profile that your quark uses.
Start by opening Photoshop and go to Color Settings. Against Gray - the "options" are basically only various amounts of dot gain. Click on one of the values and you will see a drop down menu. Go to the top of the menu and choose "Load Gray". Pick the same profile you use for your CMYK space. You'll see it show up as "Black Ink - (profile name)". Now, click on it again but this time choose "Save Gray". Make sure you save the new profile in the same place as the other profiles you have. (kudos to Matt Beals for this)

Now select this "Black Ink - (profile name)" in quark's color manangement greyscale prefs see if it makes a difference.

dragdes

Post by dragdes » 30 Sep 2009, 23:57

Just found your post after printing a 140 page directory with all the 100% text changing to 90% when saved as a greyscale PDF. I couldn't figure out why it was happening (I'd always done it that way in Quark 6.5 without a problem) until I 'googled' it and came across your post. Saving as CMYK and then just printing the K separation works fine. Why change 100%K text to 90%! Who gave it the right? Why didn't it warn me! Yes I am pi$$ed off because I now have directors and printers giving me grief. Any other suggestions or help gratefully received.

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 01 Oct 2009, 00:18

Quark8.1 has a new 100K colour space to use in place of Greyscale when printing.

dragdes

Post by dragdes » 01 Oct 2009, 00:25

Thanks Glenn, I'll have to look into that 'cus I don't want it happening again.

Ioannis

Post by Ioannis » 10 Oct 2009, 03:52

I have the opposite problem. A 540 pages document with Line-art in every page (scanned old book) with page numbers of black color. Page numbers are inserted by Quark 8.1
Whatever I tried (Grayscale, 100K, as-is) the lne art is printing in the PDF file as raster image.
Any help appreciated.
Ioannis

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 12 Oct 2009, 00:40

"with Line-art in every page (scanned old book)"
Scans would be raster unless you put them through some sort of OCR so not quite sure what you mean. You can play with the image compression settings when you make the pdf, I've seen 8.1 turn 1200ppi bitmap (1bit) scans to 300ppi jpeg (8bit) which isn't funny.

Ioannis

Post by Ioannis » 12 Oct 2009, 07:41

Thanksfor the reply Glenn.
Well, I don't care to OCR the pages. They are just scanned as is. It is an old book and is going to be reproduced exactly the same.
The scanning went OK. Even if I print from within the Quark with As-is setting it prints OK on a laser printer.
But the pdf file is produced as raste image in the Line-art scanned pages. It very annoying...
I suppose I do it OK, selecting Export to pdf, right?
Thanks,
Ioannis

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 13 Oct 2009, 00:22

When you Export to PDF at the bottom of the palette there is a Settings button, this will take you into a tabbed palette where you can set image downsampling and compression settings, I'd suggest DO NOT DOWNSAMPLE and ZIP compression, even if these are bitmaps.

fromhere

Post by fromhere » 13 Oct 2009, 02:06

A friend of mine today actually came to me with the exact same problem.Strangely enough, the bitmap-files become grayscale-files with far lesser resolution as well.To complete the strangeness, when writing a pdf on MY COmputer with the exact same settings, versions and so on, everything is fine as it should be with crisp sharp edged bitmap-TIFF and high resolution.and please, we REALLY sat both computers side by side and had the same settings all over.I am a bit confused about that.So I#D be happy to report him any insight I might get in here from someone who found a solution.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”