Quark 8 PDF Export Grayscale - Black text goes gray

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
fromhere

Post by fromhere » 13 Oct 2009, 02:06

A friend of mine today actually came to me with the exact same problem.Strangely enough, the bitmap-files become grayscale-files with far lesser resolution as well.To complete the strangeness, when writing a pdf on MY COmputer with the exact same settings, versions and so on, everything is fine as it should be with crisp sharp edged bitmap-TIFF and high resolution.and please, we REALLY sat both computers side by side and had the same settings all over.I am a bit confused about that.So I#D be happy to report him any insight I might get in here from someone who found a solution.

jesse@acquirevisual.com

Post by jesse@acquirevisual.com » 21 Feb 2012, 03:05

I have the same issue with the black going to gray and the Grayscale 100K seems to fix it. Try dragging the PDF into Photoshop and using the color picker on the blacks to see if they're 100% black. In some of my PDFs it seems like Acrobat was showing them as a dark gray, but Photoshop was showing it as black.

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 21 Feb 2012, 03:42

When you open a pdf in photoshop (unless it is a photoshop pdf) YOU define the colour space it opens up as, it WILL CONVERT if you set a different space. Not saying you are converting but be aware that it's a possiblity.

kris 1

Post by kris 1 » 21 Feb 2012, 04:55

Here's part of an explanation I found when I had the same problem:

In previous versions of QuarkXPress, CMYK colors that included 100% black objects appeared 90% black if sent to composite output using the "Grayscale" output setup. This caused some problems with some printing workflows.

To address these problems, QuarkXPress 8.1 adds the "Grayscale 100K" output setup. This output setup ensures that CMYK text and objects that include 100% Black appear 100% black at output.

To use the "Grayscale 100K" output setup at output, display the Color pane in the output dialog box, choose Composite from the Mode drop-down menu, and then choose Grayscale 100K from the Setup drop-down menu.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”