Problem with Quark 6.5 Export Layout as PDF

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
sjh

Post by sjh » 18 Jul 2007, 10:26

I'm using Quark 6.5 and Acrobat 8.1 Professional on the Mac. If I use the print command and Distiller to make a pdf I don't have any problem. But for proofing purposes it's just quicker to make a pdf using Quark's export layout as pdf -- and I never had a problem with it before. But starting yesterday whenever I do that Quark closes out on me. Today I tried making a test file with only text (all in Helvetica) and it still closed out. So it doesn't seem to have anything to do with fonts or images.

Has anybody had this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

bobzaguy

Post by bobzaguy » 18 Jul 2007, 10:37

Yes, I just have had the same thing happen. Came here to see if there is anyone with a solution.

Is this some kind of "doomsday" situation where a little virus has taken hold?

This morning is the first time Quark bombed since I increased the size of the MB space over a year ago.

I normally use this export feature a lot as a label designer. It is a quick way to get a jpg file out of Photoshop.

Bob Rohden
Chicago

elaine adler

Post by elaine adler » 18 Jul 2007, 17:21

This isn't a new problem. Same thing happened to me in v. 6.5 last Fall, using a Mac G5 running 10.3.9. I, too, had recently upgraded Acrobat. Many frustrating hours trying to figure out the problem. I even tried reinstalling Quark and played around with shifting extensions around. No luck.

Because I need to create pdf's to email proofs to clients, I found two fixes: 1) I've begun to use Adobe InDesign more; 2) when I have to use Quark if a specific printer cannot accept InDesign files, I transfer my Quark document to my laptop and create the pdf there. For some reason, the same version of Quark on my laptop is not affected. Sh-h-h. I don't want to jinx it by saying this. If you have access to another computer with Quark loaded, try it.

At around the same time, I upgraded to quark 6.5.2, which really played havoc with functionality. I quickly trashed it and reinstalled 6.5 and have never looked back (or forward).

Hope you find a solution. It's really frustrating when we rely on applications to make our work easier, and instead it causes delays and headaches because developers haven't considered all angles.

sjh

Post by sjh » 19 Jul 2007, 07:48

Elaine, Thanks for trying to help.

I also started noticing a problem with InDesign if I export to pdf. (I am using InDesign Middle Eastern which is CS2). It said it was "out of memory." But once again, I was able to make the pdf using Distiller. I haven't tried it in InDesign CS3 to see if it happens there.

I sometimes have issues with CS3 programs if I am using this InDesign ME CS2 at the same time so I was wondering if that could be causing some problem. I tried reinstalling Acrobat. But for some reason the install kept asking for ExtendScript Toolkit 2 which I couldn't find on any CS disk of any version so finally gave up.

That's it for now. I hope everyone else with this problem has better luck!

sjh (Susan)

bobzaguy

Post by bobzaguy » 19 Jul 2007, 08:16

>

I have Intel iMac since Feb. '06 and never had a problem with v6.5 and now v6.52.
The pdf export worked fine until 3 days ago on Monday. I needed to send a new .jpg and Quark crashed about 15 seconds into the export. If there was a problem previously, Quark never crashed, it just said it was not able to make the export.
The only thing I can figure that has changed is the latest Mac system software upgrade to v10.4.10 sometime late last week.

sjh

Post by sjh » 19 Jul 2007, 08:24

[strong]bobzaguy:[/strong]The only thing I can figure that has changed is the latest Mac system software upgrade to v10.4.10 sometime late last week.

I think you're on to something Bobzaguy. I did some searching on the web and didn't come up with anything, but maybe because it's new.

sjh

bobzaguy

Post by bobzaguy » 19 Jul 2007, 08:56

I don't know yet as well.
Apple.com support has pushed out a "combo" 10.4.10 download which they claim works with the Intel/PPC problems, but it doesn't change this problem. I haven't had it installed long enough to say what it does change, if anything.

I am sorry that the moderator for this forum hasn't seen it and set his company resources in motion to determine what has happened. Maybe he has had Mon-Wed lite vacation or attending a seminar.

elaine adler

Post by elaine adler » 19 Jul 2007, 10:41

I can't blame it on the Intel Pro. I migrated my files from my G5 to the Pro. My pdf crashing began on the G5 and continue on the Pro. I think it's more of a file inking problem between the two applications, Quark and Acrobat. Maybe Acrobat placed a file in some other location on an install or update, and Quark can no longer find it.

Susan, if you're looking for the ExtendScript Toolkit 2, do a search for it. Mine is in Applications:Utilities:Adobe Utilities:ExtendScript Toolkit 2. Maybe yours is in the wrong folder or has gone missing.

Also, it would make sense to open either CS2 or CS3 applications at a given time, but not both. There may be shared files or links they are using, and may get confused. I can't speak to the ME version, but I have kept some CS2 apps on my machine just in case. So far, all seems to be well, but I've never opened 2 and 3 simultaneously.

Good luck.
elaine

sjh

Post by sjh » 19 Jul 2007, 10:49

[strong]elaine adler:[/strong]Susan, if you're looking for the ExtendScript Toolkit 2, do a search for it. Mine is in Applications:Utilities:Adobe Utilities:ExtendScript Toolkit 2. Maybe yours is in the wrong folder or has gone missing.

Also, it would make sense to open either CS2 or CS3 applications at a given time, but not both. There may be shared files or links they are using, and may get confused. I can't speak to the ME version, but I have kept some CS2 apps on my machine just in case. So far, all seems to be well, but I've never opened 2 and 3 simultaneously.

Good luck.
elaine

Yes, it's there for me as well. But the reinstall only wants to get it from a disk. I even tried burning it to a disk but that didn't work. I don't understand why it needs something that is already on my hard drive.

Actually I can use InDesign cs2 and Illustrator cs3 simultaneously with no problems. But for Photoshop cs3 I have to close InDesign first. InDesign ME only exists in CS2 right now.

Susan (sjh)

noelove

Post by noelove » 19 Jul 2007, 13:06

We are having the exact same problem.

I created a 16 page magazine layout for the August issue. I copied the layout and changed the name to Sept, swap out some images and text and have the next issue.

August exports fine, but September crashes every single time. I've even tried replacing the images and it still crashes.

This is very very frustrating. Any word on how/when this could be fixed?

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”