Problem with Quark 6.5 Export Layout as PDF

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
elaine adler

Post by elaine adler » 19 Jul 2007, 14:01

Is it possible that old links or naming conventions from August are still present, making the application confused? Any hidden items that had to be unlinked before linking in new images or other elements?

This is what happens to me in web design with GoLive. If I save a page with a new name to create a new page, I need to break all the links that will be replaced before adding the new links. A swap doesn't work.

Not sure if this applies to your problem, but worth consideration.

tonynwa

Post by tonynwa » 22 Jul 2007, 14:08

I am having the same problem too, started when Adobe Acrobat 8 was installed 3 days ago, is this a coincidence? Export to PDF crashes everytime, this is incredibly frustrating. Will updating to Quark 7 solve this?

Is there another way I can export to a PDF?

Tony Wass

Bohica

Post by Bohica » 24 Jul 2007, 14:52

I had the same problem making pdfs once I upgraded Mac OS. I now can make pdfs again through Quark.

I downloaded and installed Quark 6.52.
I deleted the PDFFilter.prf in the QuarkXPress 6.0 perfernce folder: Users>Username>Library>Preferences>Quark>QuarkXPress 6.0
Then quit and relaunched Quark.

Seems to work fine now.

sjh

Post by sjh » 24 Jul 2007, 15:37

I tried what you said and still had the same issue, so I went to Applications/QuarkXpress 6.1/Preferences and deleted the PDFFilter.prf file from there as well.
Now it works fine!
Bohica you rock! Thank you so much!

~Susan

elaine adler

Post by elaine adler » 24 Jul 2007, 15:51

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Please place a big gold star on your forehead -- and maybe a crown on your head.

What a treat to click on export pdf and actually see it happen.

Now why didn't someone from quark make this suggestion, rather than making us fumble around in the dark?

elaine adler

Post by elaine adler » 07 Aug 2007, 20:14

Relief is short-lived. PDFfilter.prf just refuses to stay trashed. While it worked a couple of times, the filter is now back in the preferences folder. When I remove it after Quark crashes when trying to Export to PDF, PDF filter has replaced itself in the preferences folder. I have just replicated this scenario 10 times in a row. It seems to replace itself as soon as Export to PDF is selected, showing up like a bad penny, leading to a crash.

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions for a permanent solution? Aaaaargh!

a.hayton

Post by a.hayton » 08 Aug 2007, 07:15

Elaine,

The prf file will be created every time quark runs as I think this is the preferences file that contains the settings you set up to export to PDF.
I personally use the export to pdf function but have it set to create a ps file instead and then distill the file. This works best I have found.

Are you having a problem with all documents or the same ones. You could try creating a blank new document and doing a thumbnail drag of the pages to get rid of any erroneous links.

elaine adler

Post by elaine adler » 08 Aug 2007, 08:52

Thanks for the suggestion. I just switched to having pdf create a ps file, and it still crashes. And I have tried exporting from a brand new file with no links to other files.

I'm thinking the file required to set up Quark's exporting to pdf is "PDF filter.xnt", which resides in Quark's XTensions folder. When I tried removing that xtension, the Export to PDF function was blanked out; it returned when I replaced the xtension in its folder.

What I don't understand is the inconsistency. Why did exporting to PDF work for a while, and the PDFfilter.prf file not replace itself? Except, of course, that I did recently install an Acrobat update. Aha! What we need is for Quark and Adobe to get on this issue so the two programs can work together properly, yet both remain silent here.

Maybe this is Quark's way of trying to get us to purchase v.7? Does anyone know if this problem goes away in the upgrade?

In the meantime, I will continue to transfer files to my laptop, where export to pdf still works, and then transfer back to my desktop to continue working. As long as that works, it's my easy fix.

a.hayton

Post by a.hayton » 08 Aug 2007, 08:59

I seem to remember some time ago that there was a font problem that caused this crash or a crash. People had problems when they used a font manager to control their system fonts and the wrong ones were managed. I can't remember what the fonts were, but it was on this forum somewhere, but I think it was helvetica, arial and courier and that they had to be in the correct fonts folder to stop the crash. Sorry I can't think of the actual details but rather busy at the moment.

Melissa Stevens

Post by Melissa Stevens » 08 Aug 2007, 09:40

I just read through these problem -- mine started after I updated Quicktime to 7.2. I'm running Quark 6.5, OS 10.3.9 on a G5. Never had any problems prior to this upgrade. I've tried turning fonts off, replacing PDF Filter prefs and Quark prefs as well -- still crashing when I export as PDF. And I do keep sending my crash messages to Apple, hoping they get the hint. Any comments out there?

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”