Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
rdesranleau

Times Bold Apostophe replaced in PDF

Post by rdesranleau » 18 Nov 2004, 10:43

rdesranleau

Post by rdesranleau » 23 Nov 2004, 08:06

OK it looks like I've stumped rzacherl with this :cry:

Can anybody tell me if they are having the same problem in Windows Quark 5 with the times fonts and distiller 6?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » 23 Nov 2004, 08:28

Hi rdesranleau,

sorry, but I'm more or less clueless what#s going wrong on your machine.
The only thing you could try is to download the Adobe Universal PostScript Windows Driver Installer 1.0.6 at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=1500 .

Setup a new printer instance with it by assigning the existing 'PDF port' and use the Adobe Acrobat Distiller 5 PPD file which is part of the ZIP archive at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... fileID=204.

Setup the driver options as you did already with the existing driver (trueType font options etc.) and the print your document via this newly created printer.

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 24 Nov 2004, 04:10

Just a guess but could this be a 'keyboard' thing. On a mac when you use the same font with a different software keyboard, a lot of the extended characters move positions to suit the host language.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » 24 Nov 2004, 04:15

Hi Glenn,

as we already found out the real problem is that the Times-Bold font is not in rdesranleau's PostScript file. The code itself is absolutely ok because if I take his PostScript file and sind it through my Acrobat Distiller i get the correct PDF file.

rdesranleau has to find out why his font is not embedded. That's the whole problem. It's not a problem of a wrong font embedding at all.

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 24 Nov 2004, 04:35

Hi rzacherl

i understand the font isn't in the postscript file, but when you point your distiller at your Times bold you get the correct result. When rdesranleau creates his pdf his distiller is picking up Times bold off his system and producing the wrong characters. i was just brainstorming.

v BONES v

Post by v BONES v » 24 Nov 2004, 05:06

Maybe switch off the subsetting of the font? I know it shouldn't make any difference at all, but sub setting the font means that possibly all the font is not taken over - perhaps the apostrophe is missing?

I have seen this sort of problem before due to codesets. We ran a laser bureau, and when we received text files from foreign countries the keyboard sets would affect the characters. Whenever we used new suppliers we had to test the codesets for their output to ensure the correct substitution. Is there any way the codesets in the distiller might be incorrect?

just clutching at straws really....

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » 24 Nov 2004, 05:29

Hi Bones,

as i already said, I received the PosTScript file from rdesranleau which produces the wrong resulton his machne and I was able to produce a perfect PDF out of it on my Mac OS X machine. Mac OS X does not even know what a codepage is nor does Acrobat Distiller. Distiller takes the next supported font which is named as the missing one inside the PostScript file. I was lucky because my font fits to the encoding of the file. rdesranleau isn't lucky becuase his font doesn't.

But anyway that's not the solution to the problem (letting Acrobat Distiller find the right font) because his aim must be to embed the font in his print file. As soon as he succeeds to do so, his problem will be solved because then Acrobat Distiller doesn't have to search for the right fonts anymore because all resources it needs can be already found within the processed PostScript code.

v BONES v

Post by v BONES v » 24 Nov 2004, 06:21

True. I see no reason why the font should not be embedded.

But if rdesranleau has only one copy of times on his machine, the stray character must be a substitute from within the same font set - which suggests a codeset conversion, particularly since it is affecting the apostrophe which is one of the more ambiguous characters :?:

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 22 Feb 2005, 05:21

Just got this off the Pitstop forum and remembered your post. It may be relevant, it may not, I'm afraid I know very little about PC's.

You'll have to check/edit the registry on your PC to see if Times is being
substituted with another font. (As it always is!)

You may want to write down what your changing so you can go back to the old
settings if you need to.

Go to:

Run > type in REGEDT32 then go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS NT > Current Version >
Font Substitutions

Normally Helvetica is substituted with Arial and Times with Times New Roman.

Change the substituted names to you PostScript Font name to ensure that is
the one being used in all applications.

(Doing this also gets rid of the Times error in InDesign when opening up a
page).

Hope this helps you, and many more.

Regards,

Sue Bray

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”