drop shadows and OPI

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
guyminder

drop shadows and OPI

Post by guyminder » 21 Feb 2012, 06:37

Hi there,It seems that drop shadows are very buggy. For some reasons if you place an element with a drop shadow over an eps (rasterized fonts), it makes the text below much more black than it should be. I'm sending attached a comparison between Quark and InDesign: it is disappointing.Example can be downloaded from:http://video.jpmguides.com/quark_shadow_bug.jpgI'm an old Quark user but honestlyPlease tell me I'm doing something wrongThanks, Guy

frances white

drop shadows and OPI

Post by frances white » 21 Feb 2012, 22:09

I am still experiencing problems with drop shadows. Our system uses low res ".lay" files and if we put drop shadows on images that are on top of a photoshop .lay file background the OPI does not work and we get low res output on the background. If we replace the background with a high res flattened eps we can make the drop shadow work on images placed on top - however these high res background files then cease to update.

Glenn McDowall

drop shadows and OPI

Post by Glenn McDowall » 22 Feb 2012, 00:19

You are mixing OPI and drop shadows[:'(]
You need to be confident of exactly what file types are supported and how they are handled by your OPI. (The last OPI I used was many years ago and that for example wouldn't handle LZW compression on TIFFs)
If you are only putting .lay files into quark then that is all quark can output, the rest is down to your OPI. Quark can only base its drop shadow generation on what is in the .lay file which is likely much lower res. Quark often will burn drop shadows into objects below and split them into pieces (this is pretty much guaranteed if you flatten transparency), so if that object is a .lay then the resultant new object(s) no longer have any OPI comments for your OPI to pick up on.
To be honest OPI has had its day, todays computers are plenty fast enough to do without it. Do you have a specific reason for using OPI, PDFs with native transparency or DCS2?

frances white

drop shadows and OPI

Post by frances white » 22 Feb 2012, 01:43

we are only just discovering that there are issues with OPI and drop shadows.we are using OPI due to the high volume of traffic across our network. we produce many large documents and 800 page catalogues.as mentioned though we experimented with putting high resolution files in the background instead of our ".lay" files and they refused to update.

guyminder

drop shadows and OPI

Post by guyminder » 22 Feb 2012, 01:53

Sorry but I'm not using any OPI and still experience problems (see example: http://video.jpmguides.com/quark_shadow_bug.jpg)

Glenn McDowall

drop shadows and OPI

Post by Glenn McDowall » 22 Feb 2012, 01:59

I'm not understanding what you mean by "refused to update", if you edit the high res thats placed, it should update in quark, if you update the high res that generates the .lay, its no longer in the quark document so it can't update. if you try and send OPI on a placed high res rather than a .lay its up to whether your OPI knows where to get the file from, I'm presuming the .lay is a separate OPI flag for your system compared to OPI comments from Quark.

Glenn McDowall

drop shadows and OPI

Post by Glenn McDowall » 22 Feb 2012, 02:05

Hi guyminder, your jpg shows type fattening in areas affected by transparency flattening, try Exporting your PDF with Native Transparency.

guyminder

drop shadows and OPI

Post by guyminder » 22 Feb 2012, 02:09

Thanks but I'm not making any PDF at this stage, I'm just printing on my color laser printer. Is there something that I'm missing? It looks se complicated compared to InDesign

Glenn McDowall

drop shadows and OPI

Post by Glenn McDowall » 22 Feb 2012, 02:23

Yes its complicated, if you can make a successful pdf and then print from Acrobat you'll be using pretty much the same print engine as InDesign. Alternatively in quark's print dialogue set your Transparency Flattening resolutions to match your printer's native dpi, if that's too high then halve it.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”