How to get single first page in pdf when exporting spreads

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
Renata

How to get single first page in pdf when exporting spreads

Post by Renata » 22 Jan 2015, 13:39

Hi,

Does anybody knows how to get a single page when exporting to pdf with spreads. My document is small and will benefit greatly from showing the pages as a spreads but when I do that, the first page (cover) is not single anymore.

Renata

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Re: How to get single first page in pdf when exporting sprea

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 23 Jan 2015, 05:26

Hi,

The trick is to export as single pages. Then set Acrobat prefs so that it shows 2 pages with cover. Does this help?
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 23 Jan 2015, 09:02

Page display in Reader and Acrobat is a metadata switch, which as far as I know there is not an application that supports it for a single first page, spreads thereafter.

For a PC, there is a little utility that one can use that can set the metadata to initially display single first page, spreads thereafter. Hasn't been updated in eons, still works in Windows 8.1 and the newest PDFs. The viewer used to display the PDFs have to be capable of it, so I think the Mac viewer may not do so, and I don't think the newest Windows 8 native PDF viewer can do it either.

Mike

Renata

Post by Renata » 23 Jan 2015, 15:28

Thanks Jean-Marie but setting two page display in AR doesn't help, it shows the cover with next page. The half way around it is to add in Quark blank page before cover but then you see it as a spread, something I want to avoid.

Mike, unfortunately for us or rather for Quark, InDesign has that capability. I guess Quark doesn't think this is important but I often send to my clients brochures shown as spreads to show how two pages work together. In these days when most of the jobs get approved on screen it is important that we help clients as much as possible to visualize our concepts. Another good reason for having single first page is creating pdfs for online viewing only. Screens are getting wider so displaying pdfs as a single pages is not valid anymore.

I guess I'll add this to my wish list for Quark :-)

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 24 Jan 2015, 03:47

Renata, it does help if you set page display to 2 pages + cover (translated from French, sorry). You should investigate a bit deeper. That's the way I deal with that kind of thing.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 24 Jan 2015, 10:30

I guess this is not a Quark problem, rather an Acrobat setting:

1. Open the pdf file (exported with "normal" pages, not spread) in Acrobat;
2. Go to View > Page Display > Two Page View;
3. Go to View > Page Display > Show Cover Page in Two Page View.

In some other UI languages, the commands may differ.
These commands are for Acrobat X Pro, but I guess they can be found in upper versions too.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

Renata

Post by Renata » 24 Jan 2015, 11:54

Thank you Jean-Marie and Max,

I really appreciate that you spent your time on this issue. Sometimes one wrong step may lead into wrong direction. This is exactly what happened to me. I saw the option for displaying cover page in two page view (which should be in "one page view" btw) but I must be doing it in wrong sequence (and believe me I tired few) because I didn't get he right effect. After I used the display options the way max.peter described it finally worked.

However, after I sent pdf it came back as a single pages again. This means whenever I send it to clients I have to guide them through the steps in order to achieve this effect. I may do that with clients but I can't with other viewers who will download the pdf. I checked the pdf I created in InDesign (as spreads) and not only gives me single cover page but also there is not need to change the viewing options. ALSO, when I send the pdf it came back exactly the same, again without fussing with display settings.

I wonder if anybody knows solution for that.

Renata

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 24 Jan 2015, 14:04

I had this problem with my clients. I asked them to learn to use Acrobat and Reader, this is a must. Every guy working in print industry has to learn these things. I met also some lazy guys, and I sent them to find somebody else to work with. I know, sometimes selecting clients may be a problem.
This is only MHO, it may not fit for somebody else.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

Renata

Post by Renata » 25 Jan 2015, 13:42

Well, I can also ask my clients to do so but it's impossible to ask potential viewers they post this materials for. If we're dealing with regular sizes I usually don't use that options, because some people may choose to print and 2 page spread printout could be hard to read. But this is not a case. This brochure is small and two pages will fit nicely in regular paper size. It actually will look awkward when printed as a single pages.

I guess at this point we established that Quark doesn't offer this option so I'll use my half way around it by creating pdf with spreads and let go the fact that covers come with empty pages.

It's not a big problem but will help with overall workflow by giving designers more control over materials they create.

Thank you All,

Renata

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 26 Jan 2015, 09:48

When you open up a PDF in Acrobat, you can set up its opening prefs so it'll open the way you wish by calling File>Properties menu and set in there the way the file will open. I'm with you to say it should be done at exporting PDF level within Quark, but well. At least can you set it yourself. I should look into a AppleScript droplet to set that by just dropping a file on it. But I'm out of office for a certain time and don't know when I'll have time to write it.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”