Incorrect Style Sheet Names

Discuss AppleScripting for QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before)
Post Reply
jeff.walters
Posts: 0
Joined: 31 Dec 1969, 19:00

Incorrect Style Sheet Names

Post by jeff.walters » 02 Jan 2013, 13:28

I am trying to get the name of applied paragraph styles in a Quark file.
The following script works if I create a new file, but it gives me incorrect style sheet names if used on existing files.
set thisStyle to name of (style sheet of paragraph 2 of text box 1)
The existing files that are being sent to me are created on a Quark Server 8 (Windows) system. I am using Quark 8.1 on Snow Leopard.
If I copy and paste the contents of the existing file to a new document created on my system, then the Applescript code works.
I am hoping to avoid having to have the script copy every Quark Server 8 document into a new document just to see what the paragraphy styles are set to.
Is this a known bug? Is there anything I can do to fix it or work around it?

Thanks,
Jeff Walters

Jean-Marie Schwartz
Posts: 1174
Joined: 23 Nov 2004, 04:30

Incorrect Style Sheet Names

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 02 Jan 2013, 21:06

In the sense I've had the same issue in the past, yes it is a known bug. I've never had to handle dozens or hundreds of files so it was not such a big deal for me (apart from the coding time when I pulled my hair because of a non-working script). That said what I used to perform was a thumbnail drag that would just clean up the file and reset everything neat. (BTW I work only with Mac files).
Just a thought: could you use the uniqueID to sort the things out? Maybe it worth a shot. HTH.

jeff.walters
Posts: 0
Joined: 31 Dec 1969, 19:00

Incorrect Style Sheet Names

Post by jeff.walters » 03 Jan 2013, 05:22

Jean-Marie,
Thanks for the help! I think this affects about 200 files in this batch but could touch quite a number of more. Unfortunately, I probably can't ask the group I work with to recreate these files with a thumbnail drag.
I found that I can export to Xtags and have the correct paragraph styles marked in the Xtags coding. I might try working with that route as a workaround. I'm trying to take the Quark files to XML, so that might be a possibility.
I just tried the uniqueID. That actually does seem to work. Thanks for the advice! I'll let you know if I get something that works on this.
Have a great day!

Jeff Walters
Pearson Education

Post Reply

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: AppleScript”