Loaded fonts not appearing

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10.
Taberoo

Post by Taberoo » 15 Jun 2008, 22:59

I have loaded Optima using suitcase but only 2 of the font family appears in Quark, regular & extra bold. The other weights are available to use in indesign and other applications but not quark.
Does anyone know the reason for this and how this problem can be over come.
The font type is truetype

thing

Post by thing » 15 Jun 2008, 23:31

I'd suggest clearing the font caches. You can do this with Linotype Font Explorer (a much better, in my opionion, font management utility and it's free) or something like Onyx.
I've had problems with Optima and a few other fonts in the past - purely Quark related too. That was back at my last company using v6.52 on OS 10.4.11. We had to clear the font caches everytime we needed to use Optima and one other font I can't remember the name of right now! After clearing them all worked fine for a while, then we'd have to do it again. Irritating, but it worked.
Greg

Taberoo

Post by Taberoo » 15 Jun 2008, 23:56

thanks for the suggestion, unfortunatley this didn't work.[:(]

scottws

Post by scottws » 16 Jun 2008, 02:46

I've had the same problem - sometimes quark will not recognize fonts loaded with a font management app (ID will see them).Try putting the fonts in the User->Library->Fonts folder.

Taberoo

Post by Taberoo » 16 Jun 2008, 05:13

Just checked the fonts folder on my local drive and Optima is already there, I've made sure that the qhole font set is there. Quark still only shows regular and extra black!! [8o|]

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » 23 Jun 2008, 14:17

If you have TrueType format then the suitcase may only reference the Regular weight. The Italic, Bold and BoldItalic may only be availble via the style buttons. The ExtraBold would have a seperate reference. Adobe does not use the same font handling system as Quark so all CS apps will display fonts slightly differently.
You could also check that you don't have two versions installed, like Optima TrueType and Optima dFont.
Malcolm

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Fonts and fonts usage”