corrupt and none showing fonts

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10.
pod_meister

Post by pod_meister » 18 Nov 2004, 04:48

Hi All

I've recently (since installing 6.1 and upgrading to 6.5) been having problems with zapf dingbats. When printing the an error warning appears with font corrupt. I've just installed the extension to stop the error screen coming up, but this doesn't explain why quark won't even show the font on screen. I've tried the font in other programs (text edit, word, photoshop, illustrator, freehand) and there is no problem. I've taken the route of re-installing the font but to no luck.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Piers :?

pod_meister

Post by pod_meister » 18 Nov 2004, 05:27

Hi All

Quick update.

I've done the install to 6.5 now.

Just run through the same tests and I now have slightly different results.

Photoshop and illustrator - not a problem with the old dingbats

Word, Freehand and textedit - these no longer work with the font.

I've tried replacing the font in the main osx 10.3.5 library but this doesn't seem to have worked.

My hair is being slowly torn out.

Suggestions are still more than welcome (before I'm bald)

Many thanks

Piers

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 18 Nov 2004, 11:38

There are lots of threads on the forum about ZapfDingbats and OS10.3.5, with workarounds.

The problem went away when I upgarded to OSX 10.3.6, Suitcase 11.0.4, and Quark 6.5. Not sure which upgrade sorted it :?:

PDGrafik

Post by PDGrafik » 18 Nov 2004, 11:41

I've been having similar problems.
OSX 10.3.5
Quark 6.5
Suitcase X1 (11.0.2)

ITC Zapf Dingbats seem to print on our Postscript printers ok but are not displayed in Quark.
We've had complaints from one printer that they don't RIP and don't appear on film.
Another printer uses computer to plate so far without problems.

Neither Suitcase nor FontBook nor Fontcollection displays a preview. The same problem occurs with dfont.

There seems to be no problem with Illustrator, Word, InDesign, etc.

Our printer has complained that the Zapf Dingbats disappeared from a high quality PDF that was saved as PS from Quark 6 and processed through Acrobat. This is VERY surprising.

What surprises me is that my colleagues 'identical' Mac does not have this problem. We can't identify a difference, even with a copy of his Dingbats.

pod_meister

Post by pod_meister » 18 Nov 2004, 11:57

I've managed to sort the problem out this afternoon.

)SX 10.3.5
Quark 6.5
I don't use a font management program.

The other lads have had no problems either on 6.0 (damn upgrades)

The copy of Zapf dingbats I was using was an old level 1 true type.

One of the lads in the studio had a zapf file with a newer creation date. So I threw this into my main osx system library, hard drive library and my user library.

This solved the problem of the font not appearing on screen, it has also stopped the corrupt font error appearing.

I can only think all the problems with these upgrades is that quark haven't taken into account some of the older fonts.

Hope this helps in some way.

Piers

pod_meister

Post by pod_meister » 18 Nov 2004, 11:58

Thanks to everyones input. Much appreciated.

Piers :D

almaink

Post by almaink » 18 Nov 2004, 12:41

Upgrading your OS to 10.3.6 fixes the Zapf dingbats issue as well as issues with other older T1 fonts.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Fonts and fonts usage”