Proof that no one from Quark reads this board

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10.
sxsw_crewchief

Post by sxsw_crewchief » 06 Apr 2005, 09:53

Quark does not support OpenType fonts.

That's right folks. It'll support the base font, as in Univers Condensed, but not Univers Condensed Bold. And there's no plan to support them. I mean, they're just becoming the industry standard is all. Why bother supporting an industry-standard element? Why make things easy for the users?

And where do I get my information? From "Tech Support" at Quark.

So the two previous threads about not being able to get fonts to show up in Quark, even though they show up in every other program known to man, have not been read by anyone from Quark. No one at the company cares about the people who use their software! And we just perpetuate it by continuing to make it an industry standard! Why do people still use this antiquated software? It ***** and you know it but you're like a flippin' junkie that can't give up his smack.

Oh, and they outsource everything to India. Aware of that?

Screw Quark. I'm converting everything to InDesign this weekend. You hear that Quark? You listening? Of course they aren't. It's the middle of the night in India. Their tech support's in bed.

Bivouac Ponzetti

Post by Bivouac Ponzetti » 06 Apr 2005, 12:43

[strong]sxsw_crewchief:[/strong]And there's no plan to support them.

According to Quark, OpenType support is coming in v7.

sxsw_crewchief

Post by sxsw_crewchief » 06 Apr 2005, 14:13

Sure, that's what they say now. Quark says a lot of things. How many times was the release of v.5 6 months away? And how long did it really take them to release 5.0? 4 years? Is it any surprise they still don't have support for Unicode fonts in the year 2005?

And we're all still working with this company because... we're obviously all bigger jackasses than they are.

Bivouac Ponzetti

Post by Bivouac Ponzetti » 07 Apr 2005, 07:30

[strong]sxsw_crewchief:[/strong]Sure, that's what they say now. Quark says a lot of things. How many times was the release of v.5 6 months away? And how long did it really take them to release 5.0? 4 years? Is it any surprise they still don't have support for Unicode fonts in the year 2005?

I believe that the new unicode features have been publically shown, albeit with some significant and understandaable pre-release glitches. Unicode support, along with some sort of viable transparency functionality, are features that Quark has to deliver in order to remain competitive. How well they will execute is a question that won't be answered until v7 actually ships and users get to bang on it for a while.

Exactly how long it will take them is something that I'll bet even they don't know for sure. The changes they are trying to make are ambitious, and we all know that they never ship an upgrade before it's ready... :wink:

travisrolf

Post by travisrolf » 07 Apr 2005, 17:22

Not sure if this will ease your rage or not, but we are in Quark 6.1 and having the same problem. I discovered however that using the measurements toolbar to manually bold or italicize a font (which I have previously been told never, ever to do!) actually finds the correct font. For example, I use Formata in my work. I bought the Formata Type 1 family (9 fonts or so), but only 3 show up in my Quark fonts list (Regular, light and bold). If I choose regular and click on the bold box, the document is actually directed to Formata Medium in my fonts folder. If I choose the Formata Bold font from my list and apply the Italic button, Quark is liked to the Formata Bold Italic font in my fonts folder. So I guess you can feel okay about using the correct fonts (as long as they exist in your fonts folder). The question then becomes, how do I keep track of when using this method will use the proper font (because it exists in my fonts folder) and when am I only applying an artificial bold/italic to a font (where no such font exists in my fonts folder)? Does that make any sense? You can actually do a test of my theory by taking a document and filling it with text using the font you want to check. Type a few lines in regular, then type a few lines with "bolded" regular, etc. Then collect for output and you will see that you have collected all the proper fonts. Another way to check is in your asset usage palette. As I said, I am using Formata which is very helpful because I am looking for Formata Medium and there is no "medium" button on the toolbar. So when I have bolded Formata Regular in my document and I check asset usage, the info window tells me that font is Formata Medium. On the other side of the coin (where I am testing a font that I know does not exist), If I choose the Formata Bold font and apply the "bold" button to that, asset usage says I am using the Formata Bold font (not Formata bold bold). This tells me I am artificially bolding a font. Hope that all makes sense and I hope it gives you some peace of mind and I hope Quark is reading this so they can at least know where the problem is. I think they were completely mistaken in telling you that they just don't support Open Type fonts... sounds like they just need somebody to point them in the right direction!

kc27

Post by kc27 » 04 May 2005, 09:05

I understand sxsw_crewchief's frustration because I have had to deal with it, too with Type 1 fonts. Only a few of the fonts from a font's family appear in Quark's font menu. This is even more of a pain when sending files back and forth with a Quark user on a Mac platform.

My solution for now is to use InDesign. Its font menu shows all the fonts. I was told by a Quark representative that Font Agent would solve the problem, but it did not.

Will Quark 7 solve this problem for Type 1 fonts as well?

LP

Post by LP » 04 May 2005, 13:29

DITTO! I was having that exact same problem with the same font! Thought that if I bought OpenType fonts that would be the solution.

Obviously NOT!

I'll be planning to convert to InDesign shortly!

Bank Artist

Post by Bank Artist » 10 Jun 2005, 12:39

Oh, and they outsource everything to India. Aware of that?

Screw Quark. I'm converting everything to InDesign this weekend. You hear that Quark? You listening? Of course they aren't. It's the middle of the night in India. Their tech support's in bed.

>>>>>>>>>.

This actually made me laugh..... I wonder how many people actually know that! I do only because I worked for Quark and lost my job when tech support went to India.. bitter no.. well maybe a little. But I faired better than most because I had design experience and could jump right back in to the "real world". I wouldn't have missed a chance to work for them but really glad I'm out..... I was very proud of the company then.. but since Tim Gill sold his share it has gone to hell. I am talking the company I work for into using InDesign, I love the seemless integration between applications.
ciao :roll:

catmac

Post by catmac » 18 Aug 2005, 09:22

Lots of people have relocated their call centres in india, its an issue of saving money, its a hard world out there in business.

maybe quark have lowered their tech support costs in order to put more money into developing version 7...?

just a thought.

loco

Post by loco » 25 Aug 2005, 18:36

Seems like india has become an issue instead of Quark. By the way just read this link::

http://www.quark.com/about/presscenter/ ... sp?idx=597

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Fonts and fonts usage”