Help! Not all Fonts are showing up in the selection lists

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10.
adam.bell

Post by adam.bell » 28 Sep 2004, 15:57

I installed and updated to v6.1 on Win XP with no font management software, just all fonts installed at the OS level in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts. When I open our company letterhead, it says that this document uses fonts that are not installed, even though they are and yet they are also not available under the replace with list either. So I checked when createing a new document from scratch, and not all the fonts are listed either.

For example, our company standard is the Univers LT Std open face font family which is comprised of 14 variations. When I look at them in Illustrator, all 14 show up. In Quark, I can only see 4 of them which are not the 4 I need. It also uses the open face Zapf Dingbats which again show up in Illustrator, but Quark doesn't list it at all.

What can I do to fix this ASAP?

Thanks,

Adam

anita_janney

Post by anita_janney » 03 Dec 2004, 15:53

Did you ever find a solution?
I have always had this problem on the Windows Platform Quark, from version 4.0 till now, in 6.1. ATM is immaterial. Of the 9 styles of Helvetica Neue, I can only choose 45 light, 55 roman and 65 Bold, then have to apply character styles, which my vendor then has to fiddle with the file for proper output. .
If you have any answers, I appreciate some insights!
Thanks,
Anita

keyterr

Post by keyterr » 06 Dec 2004, 12:20

Yep I have the same problem, it drives me crazy, my company has to pay loads to external print agencies when they have to sort it out. There must be a way!!

anita_janney

Post by anita_janney » 06 Dec 2004, 13:03

I would suggest you as a test, remove your Helvetica font family from ATM and install it under Control Panel -- Fonts folder. Does it make any difference?

I looked in Settings and I have a set of ITC Franklin Gothic in there (my IT guys probably laoded this on there years ago) and it seems to still have the same problem-- all the fonts are loaded, but I only see half of them.

Will re-post to this site when I get some more news!

llsennett

Post by llsennett » 07 Dec 2004, 09:26

I am having similar problems- 3rd party designed file. I purchased the font for windows and installed it. The font does nsot show upat all in Quark- every other program shows this font.

How do you get help from Quark? I called and they said it was not qa problem with them to contact
Adobe. I contacted them and of course they said the font was fine- and had me reinstall under their supervision.

What a pain. This is a font used in most of our materials.

Anton Theunissen

Post by Anton Theunissen » 08 Dec 2004, 14:29

Maybe I'm a bit too simple, but his is not about the B, I, BI not showing up because they are under the attributes buttons (or ctl-shft-B, I etc)?

anita_janney

Post by anita_janney » 09 Dec 2004, 12:21

Hello all- my Zurich counterpart had called Linotype and found the answer. (So, it's not a quark quirk, but someting to do with PC font platform and how it interacts with Quark , I guess)

Anton Theunissen

Post by Anton Theunissen » 10 Dec 2004, 02:50

PC Users can install the families and use the B, I, BI attributes for the variations. That's what these buttons were meant for.
But 'still don't know if the disappearing fonts were variations only.

dustan van nortrick

Post by dustan van nortrick » 10 Dec 2004, 17:27

[strong]anita_janney:[/strong]Hello all- my Zurich counterpart had called Linotype and found the answer. (So, it's not a quark quirk, but someting to do with PC font platform and how it interacts with Quark , I guess)
\Be careful using the attributes after you have selected your fonts! If your font family does not have some of the Bld ilt or b cond itl etc, etc. you will not be able to output at the service bureau level. It may look pretty on the screen but it may not print/output correctly. You may have already experienced part of this problem in Illustrator when converting text to curves.

PC Graphics Report

Post by PC Graphics Report » 10 Dec 2004, 18:30

The best thing you can do is to use some font management software.
I personally use Font Reserve, and am able to switch between any fonts as I need them. Also I don't jave to have many installed at any one time, making XPress run quicker. As far as we are concerned Font Management is a prerequisite for XPress, in fact for PCs doing graphics with any application.
Regards
John

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Fonts and fonts usage”