Will QuarkXpress 10 Support Web Layouts?

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
omegaman

Post by omegaman » 05 Sep 2013, 18:31

Ian Ridpath wrote:So - the way I read this, Quark 10 is abandoning its web module. So the hundreds of pages I have struggled to create on Quark 6 to 9 will need to be remade from scratch in some other web layout app. Is that what you're saying?
That's the way I read it.
Try Goldfish 3 Mac and Windows Same license covers both versions - http://www.fishbeam.com/de/goldfish/)
or
Freeway Pro (Mac Only - http://www.softpress.com/freeway-pro/) both are great to work with if you know how to use Indesign or QuarkXPress.

Ian Ridpath

Post by Ian Ridpath » 06 Sep 2013, 01:26

Thanks, omegaman. I didn't know about Goldfish and will look into it. Basic web design apps, such as Freeway Express and Sandvox, don't have the sort of typographical controls I need, so I had rejected those. On the other hand, I was reluctant to spend the time learning a fully featured program such as Freeway Pro. I already knew how to use XPress so I stuck with it, even though it was clunky. Perhaps Goldfish is the answer. Either way, it's evidently the end for web design in XPress. Pity. It could have been good.

StephenL

Post by StephenL » 10 Sep 2013, 05:28

Ian Ridpath wrote:So - the way I read this, Quark 10 is abandoning its web module. So the hundreds of pages I have struggled to create on Quark 6 to 9 will need to be remade from scratch in some other web layout app. Is that what you're saying?

Because Quark 10 does not replace Quark 9 on your computer, you can work with both versions. Just maintain your websites with Quark 9. Most HTML 4 websites are still very viable.

remote

Post by remote » 14 Sep 2013, 23:25

Ian Ridpath wrote:Either way, it's evidently the end for web design in XPress. Pity. It could have been good.
No, it could not - certainly not with the limited resources Quark has to throw at it.
Building for the web has become ever more complex. Flash at it's time was a nice way for print designers to cheat complexity by designing for a sandbox environment (and at the same time ignoring a lot of things that make the web great in the first place: accessibility, cross-device publishing, responsive layouts, URIs).

Today, that sandbox solution is no longer feasible, as more and more people browse the web on phones or tablets or phablets.

While most print designers would agree it is a crime to set a text book in photoshop, the same holds true for using Quark (or Indesign) to create a website. The result is a sub-standard product, created in an inefficient sub-standard workflow.

I live equally in both worlds: the print world where creating fine art exhibition catalogues and stationary print design and the web world, creating websites for galleries, museums etc. Yet, while I should be the perfect candidate for using the web layout feature, I am very happy for Quark do stop catering for it.

Treat the web with the same respect you have for beautifully crafted books - it involves time, speciality knowledge (also an understanding that the web and the print world have fundamental differences in how you design) and the right set of tools - Quark is not one of them (and never has been).

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”