Embedding Youtube in a Quark Web Layout?

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
Jeff Stache

Post by Jeff Stache » 14 Jun 2009, 21:51

I'm sure someone's already asked, but I couldn't find it on the forum:
Can I embed a Youtube video in a Quark layout for web?
I've done it by opening the HTML in Deamweaver, but that's cumbersome and time-consuming.
Help?
Thanks,
Jeff

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 14 Jun 2009, 22:02

Hi, Jeff,
directly in Web layout I believe it is not possible. When using an Interactive layout (and putting that in the web layout) it shoudl be easy. Let me know if you need help doing this.
Best
Matthias

Jeff Stache

Post by Jeff Stache » 16 Jun 2009, 05:13

I'd appreciate it if you could give me the basics! I gave it a try, but can't seem to figure it out.

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 24 Jun 2009, 05:37

Hi, Jeff,
sorry for the late reply, but basically I am already on holidays for a few days, just had one spare minute.
Here's how you do it:
1. Create an interactive layout.
2. Create a picture box.
3. Make that a "video object" in Interactive palette.
4. Place the video into the box (choose or external reference in Interactive palette).
5. Add controls to start/stop video (or just use the option to start upon click).
6. Go to advanced layout properties, "share" the layout.
7. Create a web layout IN THE SAME project as your interactive layout.
8. Open "Shared content" palette.
9. Drag Interactive layout into web layout.
10. Design web layout and export as HTML.
Does that work for you?
Thanks
Matthias

Jeff Stache

Post by Jeff Stache » 24 Jun 2009, 07:04

Thanks! That Seems easy enough, and i can't wait to try it. I was pressed for time, so I simply put in a picture box with a screen grab and linked it to the URL for the video.
Cheers,
Jeff

ChicagoKirk

Post by ChicagoKirk » 26 Feb 2010, 06:27

Here's how you do it:1. Create an interactive layout.2. Create a picture box.3. Make that a "video object" in Interactive palette.4. Place the video into the box (choose or external reference in Interactive palette).I get to this point and have tried many different things and cannot get it to work. YouTube gives you code to embed or an url.Any suggestions?

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 28 Feb 2010, 21:03

Hi Kirk,
using "external reference" and pasting in the URL YouTube gave you should work. Just make sure you reference a FLV (Flash video).
Are you saying you are trying this and it dfoesn't work? If yes, please send me the URL of the FLV you are trying to embed and I'll give it a shot.

Thanks
Matthias

Randy Brown

Post by Randy Brown » 02 Jul 2012, 12:40

Hi Matthias... I have tried doing this many times... have you ever been able to "embed" a YouTube in a Quark Layout???
I REALLY want to be able to do this... but...
)-:
Thanks,
Randy

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 03 Jul 2012, 03:09

Hi Randy,
much has changed in two years time... where are you actually trying to embed, in a Flash (Interactive) layout in QuarkXPress? Or a web layout?
Thanks
Matthias

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 10 Jul 2012, 06:03

I found that when you use an external reference for your video, it doesn't always seem to work when you preview the HTML page locally. I think I read in another post that it has to do with the location of the preview files. In any case, I just upload my HTML pages to a web server and test them there. The externally referenced videos usually work then, even if they did not in my preview.

And while you still cannot embed a link directly into a Quark HTML layout, I use this workaround that saves me a lot of time. You have to be willing to edit code, though:

If I have to add a YouTube video, I create a text box in my HTML layout to match the size of the video I plan to embed from YouTube. Then I paste my embedded video code into it. When it's exported, the video code is placed within a span class that removes the angle brackets from the link and treats it as text, rather than a video link. So I find the embedded video code using an HTML editor (like Komodo) and fix the angle brackets. Change them from their HTML equivalents ( & l t ; or & g t ; ) back to angle brackets. When the page is opened in a browser, the code is read properly and the text is replaced with the actual video.

Example: Here is how a YouTube embedded video link will look when it's exported from Quark using the method described above:

& l t ; iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bMo-OT6Swdw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen & g t ; & l t ; /iframe & g t ;

Notice how all the closing and opening brackets are replaced with & l t ; or & g t ;. All you need to do is replace those with opening and closing angle brackets. It should look like this:

It's not the ideal process, but I find the benefit of it is that I can save the links for the videos I want to embed inside the HTML layout and not have to go searching for them again after I export my project. Everything I need is right there on the page and all I need to do is edit a few brackets using an HTML editor to get it to work properly.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”