Web pages not centering after upgrade to 9.5

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
jfirst

Post by jfirst » 18 Dec 2012, 09:45

Previously, I used the following work-around to centre web pages in a web browser. It worked perfectly until I upgraded to 9.5! ------------- For Pages with NonOverlapping items:Most boxes are exported as cells in an HTML Table. Centering the boxes is accomplished in this workaround by making the first and last table columns variable width: 1. When in a web layout, go to Page > Page Properties. 2. Select the checkbox for 'Variable Width Page'. 3. In the layout (or on the master page of the layout if this is to be duplicated on multiple pages) draw two long narrow text boxes, one on the far left and far right margins of the layout. The text boxes can be as little as one pixel in width. Do not enter any text, apply a color, or apply a frame to either box. 4. Right click or Control Click to bring up the context menu for each object and go to Modify. Under theText tab check Make Variable Width for both boxes. Place all other objects on the page between these two boxes. ------------ Any answers?

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 25 Apr 2013, 08:55

How comfortable are you with editing HTML code? It seems it would be a lot easier to download Komodo Edit for free and use it to edit the align="left" code in your exported HTML pages to align="center". It usually appears after the closing "/head" tag. Then save it, close it, and upload it to your website and everything should be centered.

jfirst

Post by jfirst » 25 Apr 2013, 10:22

Thanks for the reply. I'm not familiar with html code but will download Komodo & try! However, the reason for using Quark for website design was that I could concentrate on design & layout & not have to be a programmer! This centering issue should be resolved by Quark, because the whole basis of web design in Quark from day-one was the capacity to create websites without writing/adjusting/massaging code!!! Also, our website changes several pages each week & having to alter code on pages each week is a nuisance & a time requirement I don't have.

jfirst

Post by jfirst » 25 Apr 2013, 10:32

Would I need to alter the alignment on each page, each time I export the page from Quark? Also, ARE YOU SURE that this works because I don't want the hassle of "back grading" Quark if it doesn't work in 9.5?

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 14 May 2013, 03:43

It does work in 9.3. That's what I use to export my HTML pages. It will NOT work in 9.5 because Quark exports code differently in 9.5. You would have to do more code editing to get it to work in 9.5.

I have several versions of Quark installed simultaneously (9.5, 9.3, 9.0, 8.0 and 7.1) for testing purposes. You can reinstall 9.3 without getting rid of 9.5 to see if it works for you.

Or, if you want to send me a few pages of your layout, I can test it first to see what problems you may run into with your layout. Sometimes you will need to design your page using tables to make sure all of the objects center correctly. Occasionally, if you don't use tables, the page will center but one or two boxes might stay flushed to the left, which requires adjusting the layout.

And yes, doing it this way would mean you have to edit the HTML pages each time they are exported.

I tried to reply to the email you sent me, but it keeps getting bounced back.

jfirst

Post by jfirst » 14 May 2013, 11:58

Thanks so much. We were without email for 3 days (mostly over a weekend) when our ISP had issues their web server. All our emails "bounced" for 3 days!!! Sorry about that & thanks for getting back. I think that I will do what you suggest. Run 9.5 AND 9.3. I will send a couple of HTM files to you as well. MANY THANKS. Peter

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”