Can Quark text be exported with HTML tags

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
Peter Fehler

Post by Peter Fehler » 01 May 2013, 05:21

Please let me know how I can export Quark text with HTML tags. I have tried all kinds of combinations. I need to take my final Quark files and post them on the web. Any ideas?

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 01 May 2013, 06:28

QuarkXPress can do this, of course. But using a web layout, not a print one.
Open the User Guide (it is a PDF file within your Quark install folder, look for it) and go to the Web Layouts chapter. Please read it.

Peter Fehler

Post by Peter Fehler » 01 May 2013, 12:37

Thanks for your reply.
It does not work very well.

- I duplicated the layout to a Web Layout.
- I selected the box and modified it so that on export it does not convert text to image, but it gives very little control when applying HTML tags.
I need an easy way to take Quark text and make it into Coded HTML text showing BOLD and ITALICS.
Any other ideas?

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 07 May 2013, 07:35

Quark uses cascading style sheets to apply bold and italic text styles to web pages. So you don't need to apply HTML tags and you won't see them used on the code that is exported from your layout. If you make any text bold or italic in your HTML layout, the exported page should preserve that bold and italic text using the cascading style sheets.

If you are converting a print document, your best bet would be to change everything to a standard font (like Helvetica or Arial) because the text will not show up properly in a user's browser if you use any kind of non-traditional fonts that they may not have.

If, for some reason, the text looks bold and italicized in your layout, but does not look that way in your exported HTML page, you might want to just create a PDF of your layout from the print version and let users download the PDF from your website, if that is an option. That way you can preserve all of the original formatting. Or, you can make a JPEG of the layout and upload that to your site instead.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”