Two-position rollovers images

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
KP

Post by KP » 02 May 2013, 01:06

I previously built my website in Quark using Interactive Flash to display a portfolio of work. However, since there now seem to be problems displaying Quark Flash with the latest Mac OS systems, I am now trying to rebuild the site without Flash. (Also, the site is well out of date and badly needs revising and updating anyway!)I have a row of small thumbnail images in picture boxes. Beneath them I have a single large picture box. What I am trying to achieve is for each of the thumbnails to act as origin boxes for two-postion rollovers, so that when the viewer rolls over the thumbnails each one will bring up a new related large rollover image in the box below. I thought that as long as I gave the target boxes the same default image, I could have a sequence of changing rollover images appearing in the same position. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but I seem only to be able to get a single rollover image to appear in the same position.I am sure it can be done because I have seen other Quark-built sites that do this; for example, this very nice site that was posted here a few months ago: http://www.hummel4design.com.Any advice would be gratefully received.

KP

Post by KP » 03 May 2013, 01:34

Sorted this out in the end. This may be useful for anyone who wants to feature a range of images (either as a way of displaying a portfolio of work, as in my case, or it could be a range of products) with thumbnail images acting as buttons. Basically its a case of creating the main target box and filling it with all the target images first before linking them, one by one to the separate thumbnails, which act as the origin boxes. Start by highlighting the target box, then go to Item > Create a 2-Position Rollover > Add Target. Repeat this for as many target rollovers you want (in my case it will be seven). When they are all done the next step is to link your origin boxes (the thumbnail images in my case) to the relevant target images you have just stored in the main Target Box, and you do this by going to 2-Position Rollover > Show and choosing from the list of the images you have just added. Then use the Rollover Linking Tool to trigger the rollover, repeating this step for each of your target images. Hope this may help other folks. Its great when you preview it and it actually works!

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”