Hyperlinks and Menus

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
StephenL

Hyperlinks and Menus

Post by StephenL » 28 Jan 2013, 06:21

I'm building my first website in Quark; I'm a Quark user since 1989. I'm trying to use either a menu or cascading menu to navigate to other pages in my website.
[ulist][*]Is there any way I can apply one of my web page hyperlinks to a menu (or cascading menu) or do all hyperlinks have to be associated with an external URL?[/ulist][ulist][*]Is there a way I can assign a URL to one of my page hyperlinks before it's sent to my ISP?[/ulist]Thanks for any assistance or workarounds that don't involve my having to know html.

shaharaperil

Hyperlinks and Menus

Post by shaharaperil » 25 Apr 2013, 08:25

Whether you are using hyperlinks or cascading menus, you can use your own Quark web pages or external URLs to set up the links.

When you open the Hyperlinks window (WINDOW > HYPERLINKS), you can select whether the link you are creating is for a URL or for a Page within your Quark document. You can then apply this hyperlink to text or to objects in your layout.

If you are using cascading menus, there is a box where you can type in the hyperlink that is associated with the cascading menu item. You don't need to upload your pages to your website before assigning them a URL because you can easily figure out what the URL is going to be by using your website name as well as the page name assigned to that page in the Quark Page Layout window.

For example, let's say your website name is http://www.quark.com. When you design a web layout in Quark, the pages in the Page Layout window are called Export1, Export2, and so on. But you can change those names to anything relevant to your page. So if you change Export1 to "AboutUs" and want that page to appear as a cascading menu item, the URL you will need to type in would be:

http://www.quark.com/AboutUs

Once you have the page uploaded to your site, the cascading menu item should work. But you don't need the page to be uploaded first to create the menu item in Quark.

StephenL

Hyperlinks and Menus

Post by StephenL » 25 Apr 2013, 08:33

shaharaperil wrote:If you are using cascading menus, there is a box where you can type in the hyperlink that is associated with the cascading menu item. You don't need to upload your pages to your website before assigning them a URL because you can easily figure out what the URL is going to be by using your website name as well as the page name assigned to that page in the Quark Page Layout window.

This is exactly the information I was looking for! Many thanks for your assistance.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”