How to get Hyperlinks to open in a new browser window

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
Sculco

Post by Sculco » 24 Sep 2012, 06:36

How can I make external links open a new browser window when they are clicked on?

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 03 Oct 2012, 09:50

You can get any hyperlink to open in a new window by assigning the target="blank" attribute to the link.
To do this:
1. Highlight the text that you want to add the hyperlink to.
2. Open the hyperlinks window in Quark and click the "New Hyperkink" icon (which looks like a little globe with a plus sign on it).
3.In the last field called "Target," select "_blank" from the drop down menu to the right of the field. Note, if you did not highlight the text (as indicated in step 1), you will not see the Target field listed. The text you want to turn into a hyperlink must be highlighted for this to work.
4. Fill in the field for the hyperlink name, select URL from the "Type" drop-down menu, and paste in your external URL.
5. Click OKAY.
6. When you click that link on your external HTML page, it will open in a new window.
If you look at the code for the exported pages, this simply adds the target="blank" attribute to the hyperlink code in the following format:
target[/i]="_blank[/i]">

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”