Centre Pages in Browsers

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
jfirst

Centre Pages in Browsers

Post by jfirst » 09 May 2012, 12:44

I know that this has been a long discussed issue but has anything been done to address the fact that pages created in Quark for the web do not centre in the browser window? I have tried & tried with the "work-around" of the 1 pixel text box at each edge of the designed page & it works EXCEPT where there are overlapping images or text boxes etc - which means that generally it doesn't work! I don't want to have to get into writing code which is why I use Quark in the first place. It seems strange that has not been addressed. HELP!

shaharaperil

Centre Pages in Browsers

Post by shaharaperil » 16 May 2012, 09:30

I don't think anything has changed within the program itself yet, but I can tell you how I work with this issue. I saw a few suggestions on the forum and had limited success with them. What seems to work best for me is to export my HTML pages from Quark and then open them using a text editor (the one supplied by my web host works best).

Then I browse down to the end of the style sheet code, where you will see the closing "/HEAD" tag. Just below that tag, you see the following:

body topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"
table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" align="left"

The only thing I usually have to do is change "left" on the second line of code to "center" and that does the trick.

However, as a general rule, I try to minimize overlapping text and image boxes because the code seems cleaner...which, as you noticed, impacts whether or not centering techniques will work for you. That seems to be the case regardless of what program I'm using. Various browsers have to be able to interpret that code, so the cleaner it is the better. If I need something to overlap, I usually try to create it as an image and put it all inside a single box. I don't even like to have separate text boxes touching each other. I've found that avoiding that causes fewer issues when I need to go in and edit the code later, and it reduces the number of "spacer" images Quark needs to export to fill up all those little overlapping areas. So far, I haven't had any issues in being able to get a page to look the way I want it to without overlapping boxes.

jfirst

Centre Pages in Browsers

Post by jfirst » 16 May 2012, 11:22

Thanks so much!Is there some way that I can check that this is working before uploading files to the web server? I copied one of our html files here & changed left to center, saved the file back to the folder on my computer, double-clicked to open it up on the internet (from my computer) & nothing had changed. Does that mean I have to upload the files to the web server before I can check whether this is working?Appreciate your help!

shaharaperil

Centre Pages in Browsers

Post by shaharaperil » 17 May 2012, 04:27

No, it should also work locally. If it's not, that means there may be something in the design that is throwing off the code. The change above will center everything within the table that follows it. If there is something on your page that the HTML code did not include in the table, then it could throw things off. If you want to send me the exported HTM page, I can take a look at it and see if I can spot what might be causing it.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”