Creating "member login" facility in web layout

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
jfirst

Post by jfirst » 16 Apr 2012, 23:20

Is it possible to create a member login facility in a website created in QuarkXpress? That is, a facility whereby someone has to sign in with a username or login name & a password to be able to access parts of the website?

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 18 Apr 2012, 07:22

I believe the quick and easy answer would be no, because that type of login needs to be driven by a database that can verify the user names and passwords.

However, you can still design the pages for the site in Quark, as well as the form buttons used to collect the username and password, but you would need a programmer to set up a database (most likely mySQL) and write a script that collects the form data and sends it off to the database.

If you don't want to use a programmer, you can try using a content management system (Joomla, Drupal) that supports password protected content and still allows you to paste in custom HTML code. That way you can create your pages in Quark, paste the HTML code where it needs to go in the content management system, and then use the system to manage site access. The host for your website may already have content management systems that are ready to be installed on your site. I've never worked with Drupal, so I can't recommend it. I have worked with Joomla, however, and I find it difficult, buggy, and annoying. To avoid all the hassles it creates, your best bet would probably be to get a programmer to set this up for you, even if you decide to manage it yourself from that point on.

jfirst

Post by jfirst » 18 Apr 2012, 13:02

Thanks so much. After submitting this post, I found some sites that offered scripts for this kind of thing so I am sure you are right. What about PHP for the scripting?

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 19 Apr 2012, 03:38

Hi jfirst,
why don't you just use the .htaccess fucntionality a lot of webservers offer? No scripting needed, no database, just a text editor.
Thanks
Matthias

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 19 Apr 2012, 05:55

Here's an interesting and comprehensive link that details a tutorial on what Matthias is suggesting:

HTACCESS

I've never tried doing it, but it looks like it has everything you'll need. I will have to experiment with it myself.

If you opt to go the script route, here is a page that generates simple login script code for you using a single username and password. You just have to remember to change "page2.html" in the code to the location of your page.

LOGIN

The .htaccess route, however, offers way more options.

jfirst

Post by jfirst » 19 Apr 2012, 09:46

Thanks again. REALLY appreciate the help. Will look at both options & see how we go. Thanks for your help.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”