Copying HTML Script into Qxpress 6.5

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
mike_nanaimo

Post by mike_nanaimo » 24 Nov 2007, 19:02

I'm on the verge of tears.

I think I'm trying to do something that can't be done with this program...

All I'm trying to do is copy the HTML script from the WeatherNetwork so I can add it to my webpage that I designed with my Quark.

I've searched Quark help and internet for hours and ended up ... here.

Is it possible to add html script to my web page using 6.5? And if so ... how?

Please and thanks.

thing

Post by thing » 25 Nov 2007, 17:41

As far as I know, though I've never tried since I don't use XPress for web stuff, you can't access the code directly in Quark.

I'd recommend a basic HTML editor - there are plenty of free ones around. On the Mac I use Taco HTML Edit. Nice little program.

Or a text editor if you don't care about syntax markup - but make sure you edit in plain text, not rich text, mode!

Good luck,

Greg

Drew Bartlett

Post by Drew Bartlett » 28 Nov 2007, 12:49

Hi Mike,

Thing is correct, right now you can't place raw HTML in a web layout and have it function. The layout will think its simply text.

Things reccomendation is probably the best way to go... using a simple HTML editor like BBEdit or even notepad or textedit to manually place the HTML you want to embed. Be sure to keep a copy of your origional HTML file in case the changes you make aren't what you wanted to do, you can start over.

Hope that helps!

Craig Hines

Post by Craig Hines » 15 Jan 2008, 00:51

Hi Drew,

I've just finished a site in Quark and thought it would be a bright idea to have Google Ad's placed on it. Like others I found that doesn't happen with Quark as .html must be placed in the source code. Googles website help suggests that ones ISP may have features such as API (advanced programming interface) or an 'integrated adsense offering." I searched GoDaddy (my ISP) and didn't find anything to the effect.

I copied Quarks source code from my index page and pasted it into Taco. The preview brought up, well, a mess--but the links worked. Are you suggesting, though, that the Quark-written .html can be edited in textedit for instance (I've written some .html in that successfully) and then reposted? Can you share more of this work-around?

As well, I went to W3C's website. They offer to test websites for compatibility with html 4.0 transitional. One of my sites (http://www.jazztextart.com) failed on 19 counts and I felt that each of them was something that I would have to intervene upon in an html editor.

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 15 Jan 2008, 09:29

[strong]Craig Hines:[/strong]Are you suggesting, though, that the Quark-written .html can be edited in textedit for instance (I've written some .html in that successfully) and then reposted? Can you share more of this work-around?

Any HTML can be edited. The problem with Quark HTML is that there is little meaningful structure to the HTML. This makes editing very difficult and often makes the web designer turn to another web design tool.

You might try designing your page in QuarkXPress with a placeholder image or text block where Google's ads should appear. This may help with a find/replace after QuarkXPress exports the HTML. Keep in mind that this technique must be repeated each time that you edit the page in QuarkXPress.

Craig Hines

Post by Craig Hines » 23 Jan 2008, 22:02

Jim, I tip my hat to you. Below is how I used your suggestion to make Google Ads work. Thank you.

I set a 160x600pxl (same size as a Google ad box) text box where I wanted the ads to go. I put a keyword to search (GoogleAd) in the box. I exported the entire site again and posted it to the server. From the www site I copied the source and pasted it into textedit. I searched for the key word (GoogleAd) and replaced that with the Google code. I saved as Index.htm and replaced the home page on the server. Voila! The ads are right where I want them to be. Check it out: http://www.losttonalcenter.com. . . as convoluted as Quarks .html is, it can be used with Google ads. No need for css (w3c approved) or html tables.
Best regards,
Craig

mike_nanaimo

Post by mike_nanaimo » 24 Jan 2008, 14:54

That's pretty impressive! (genius)

Ok I'm going to try and duplicate that and will get back to you. (fingers crossed)

britsmith

Post by britsmith » 31 Mar 2008, 06:08

I've been using Dreamweaver 3 for a number of years to do basic websites, but my favourite software, being from a print background, is QuarkXPress, so I'm well familiar with all aspects of it.

However, I recently upgraded to Adobe CS3, and Dreamweaver just ain't what it used to be, so I think I would like to swap to Quark for all of my web work.

Unfortunately I really don't know what Quark CANNOT do that Dreamweaver can, so it would be very useful if someone could compile me a summary of its shortcomings in terms of web design and function. I'm hoping that these shortcomings will not be major problems, but it's as well to know in advance of committing myself.

Anybody able to help me, please?

thing

Post by thing » 31 Mar 2008, 07:19

I'd suggest, first and foremost, Quark can't let you edit the code easily. DW, obviously, can.

Then there's all the templates for different styles of website, CSS, templating, integration with Contribute (a sort of CMS - Contribute users can edit DW created sites), 'plug-in' off the shelf code for nearly everything and anything, the fact that DW is designed to do websites but Quark isn't, the code is cleaner, there's testing for W3C compliancy and accessibility built in, the list goes on.

Sorry, but it's a no brainer - if you want to do websites use a package that's designed for it, unless you want to learn coding.

If, by the way, you like DW but don't want to pay out for it look at Nvu. That's free open-source stuff and very similar.

Or Freeway - for my money the best WYSIWYG site developer with the bonus of still letting you access the code.

The problem is, if you're from a print background as I am, websites are very, very different - not just in terms of them being RGB and fluid but also in design terms. What works in print won't on the web. It's a whole different ballpark. And for my money the best way to approach that is with something designed to do it from word one.

Having said all that I have seen 1 decent Quark created site - can't remember the URL but it's on these forums somewhere. It shines above all the others listed as examples.

Good luck!

Greg

britsmith

Post by britsmith » 31 Mar 2008, 07:57

Hi Greg,

Yes, I think the problem is that Dreamweaver DOES do everything, and is therefore so complicated, and it all has to be re-learned. Whereas I could draw a text frame in DW3, I now cannot (or can't find out how) in the CS3 version (which I have fully licensed as part of the suite), and it's now even further away from DTP than ever.

What I like about Quark is that I can design the page exactly as I want it, using Quark's many design features, and when it comes to exporting the HTML it does it all for me - round-cornered boxes, drop-shadows, style sheets that work, (as opposed to CSSs that never have done what I wanted them to), transparency features, percentage colours, graduated fills, all the controls over graphics in terms of size and cropping; in fact this list goes on and on too. I don't need to think about coding, as it's all done at the end of the process, and if something doesn't work as code Quark converts it to graphics.

I really don't care how clean the code is, as long as it works in the up-to-date browsers. Who checks postscript files nowadays to see what's in them? I remember some folks who would write their own postscript files from scratch. Hopefully one day we can consign HTML manual coding to the Boffins' Memoirs, but I get the impression that the industry has a vested interest in keeping it alive and kicking.

Obviously I'm approaching this from a beginners' perspective, but even when I look at beginners' guides I find the language is far from ordinary English, and I just don't have the time or inclination - let alone the memory at my age - to take it all in; yet I really do like to create websites for folks. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”