Urgent!! Converting Quark to Web

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
Nanoo

Post by Nanoo » 28 Jul 2004, 10:40

I need to covert quark print docs to web docs for my company.
I search the forum and found that holding ctrl + shift you can export as HTML.

I tried that and that was no good. Yes it did work, but when it converted it the new web doc was a complete mess. I know you can go in a wysiwyg and fix it, but I do not have the time for tweaking, plus the HTML was to much of a mess to even bother.

Currently I am using QX5 and I was wondering if there is a better way to go about this, with less clean up. I know that their will be issues with fonts and I will have to change them after the conversion. I want to make sure that fonts will be the only thing that I will have to tweak. I don't want to mess around with any code.

Also does QX6 handle this better?

Please help

Nanoo

Post by Nanoo » 28 Jul 2004, 11:34

by the way this is on a PC.

Nanoo

Post by Nanoo » 30 Jul 2004, 14:50

Pleas help

wasabi

Post by wasabi » 30 Jul 2004, 15:41

First of all: Print and web layout layouts are two very different animals. It would not be prudent to layout a web page like a print page. Just one example -- columns. Great for print, frustrating for a web user who would sooner skip your article than scroll.

That said, yes, Quark 6 offers greater control over web layouts and conversions. You'll still have to clean up the very bloated code. And, it may not display well in all browsers as it uses layers and some horrific table coding.

Linda

Post by Linda » 30 Jul 2004, 17:23

Nanoo,

its_betty

Post by its_betty » 30 Jul 2004, 17:53

This might be obvious (and I apologize if it is) but...

Do the documents actually need to be turned into web pages, or could you turn them into pdfs and have them linked for download through the web page?

laughing_monk

Post by laughing_monk » 31 Jul 2004, 07:25

Nanoo,no matter what you do you will have to do some cleaning. QuarkXPress 6 is not much of a difference when it comes to building for the web. I think betty has it ABSOLUTELY right.. if possible make them into PDF and have them available for download,thats the quickest workaround to this.

Nanoo

Post by Nanoo » 03 Aug 2004, 08:32

We were using pdf's but the load time was too long for us. We wanted to make them html for faster load times.

Choosing the web setting in acrobat didn't help either. A lot of the documents that need to be converted have a lot of images or are an image. Some of the images used were from the web. Therefore selecting web setting in the acrobat compressed images that were already at web compression and made them extremely blurry.

I may be doing something wrong in creating my pdfs (as I know little about acrobat), but the web setting for my documents made them unusable. The only one I found that was clear was the setting from my printer, which is what we use to print.

adamevans

Post by adamevans » 04 Aug 2004, 18:01

The reason these pages look like a mess is quark exports all of the elements in layers and most online html editors can't read them and other ones like dreamweaver mx require effort on your part to clean the code. I'm working with a design firm right now designing websites....the hitch is I'm on PC they're on MAC. So what we've done is put a Content Management System in place that will "wrap" the pages they make and export as html out of quark into the body of the website page. They don't have to convert anything, there's no working with code, they just create the page export it and we point to the html file they load on the server....works like a charm!

Nanoo

Post by Nanoo » 06 Aug 2004, 07:15

Adam,

Tell me more about this Content Management System?
What is it? How do I get it and use it?
Please tell me more.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”