Desiging frame web pages in Quark 6

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
harty

Post by harty » 18 Jul 2004, 19:46

Hi.
I understand Q6 can be used to design web pages. I really struggle with even basic HTML coding and so wonder - as I have used Quark 4.1 - if Q6 is a solution for me.
But I can't see any info about how to make frames in Quark.
You advice is appreciated.
Harty :)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » 19 Jul 2004, 08:11

Greetings -

Using QuarkXpress for your page needs is very easy, and you are already using tools that youu are very comfortable with. However, QuarkXPress uses table-based html to ensure compatability with all browers. Many browers just don't work well with frames, and we wanted to develop the most commonly used html format. There are some wonderful books that can help you move forward with your web design in QuarkXPress. There is a book titled QuarkXPress 6 for Print and Web Design by Michael Baumgardt, another good book QuarkXPress 6: Creating Digital Documents can be found at againsttheclock.com. Good Luck.

rbrown

Post by rbrown » 19 Jul 2004, 12:17

I would suggest, before going for the actual upgrade download the demo version from the quark website and try working on that. it has all the functionality except that it doesent allow you to save. but you can see your work and make sure that quark 6.0 does the trick for you.

The link for the demo versions are below

Windows:

http://www.quark.com/service/desktop/do ... sp?idx=516

MAC:

http://www.quark.com/service/desktop/do ... sp?idx=517

i hope this helps :)

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 19 Jul 2004, 12:19

[strong]Shellie Hall:[/strong]Many browers just don't work well with frames

Shellie,

would you be kind enough to explain which browsers do not do well with frames? This kind of statement may have been valid in the 20th century but I am having trouble understanding it today. I have yet to see a browser that does not support frames.

Ideally, you should avoid frames if you expect your visitors to bookmark your content easily. Frames may simplify the job of the creator but the viewer is often hindered by them.

If you need consistent content, consider using includes. Includes are simply a single file that every HTML page pulls data from (much like a template). This makes it easy to update the navigation menu or copyright footer on your website since you only need to update one file. You might consider an external style sheet (CSS) an example of an include. Includes require SSI, PHP, JSP, ASP, etc... to work on your server.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » 19 Jul 2004, 12:25

Jim -

I was being very simplistic in the approach to frames and table support. If you start at the beginning of this thread - you will see that the user is very new to html and just wanted to build a document using QXP6 and struggles with basic html. The user just wanted an easy interface and asked about building with frames. The original export to html based based on tables to ensure browser compatability.

harty

Post by harty » 19 Jul 2004, 16:22

Thank you all for your help. I didn't realise I was so out of it by trying to work with frames.
I'll download the program and see how I go.
Harty

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 19 Jul 2004, 16:28

Quark HTML export also uses CSS, which was less supported than frames a few years ago. Browsers were able to render frames before they consistently supported CSS standards. ...so we don't need to be misleading about compatibility to offer simplistic information to a new user. There is no shame in saying that Quark cannot natively do frames.

harty can still use frames in Quark XPress. harty just needs to manually create a frameset document. Once the frameset document is created, it should not be much trouble to create the individual frame pages in Quark XPress (make sure that you define the link's target frame each time that you create a hyperlink).

A good explanation of manually creating a frameset is found at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/frames.html

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”