APPLYING STYLES AUTOMATICALLY TO IMPORTED HTML TEXT

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
ANDY

Post by ANDY » 15 Jun 2004, 06:49

Hi

I am trying to import basic HTML into Quark 6.1 using get text, and would like Quark to automatically apply a pre-defined character or paragraph style to the text without any manual intervention. I thought that if I applied a style to a text box and then populated the box using get text, it would automatically apply the style - but this does not seem to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anna

Post by Anna » 15 Jun 2004, 10:57

Did you select the "Include Style Sheets" check box in the "Get Text" window? That should make the difference. :idea:

david jordan

Post by david jordan » 22 Jun 2004, 06:15

Hi,

This doesn't work for me.

When I import HTML into Quark, I get all the HTML code, including the tags.

I've prepared the tags to correspond with styles set up in Quark.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks

David.

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 22 Jun 2004, 07:18

I have not tinkered with HTML import in 6 yet but the following may make a difference...

Style sheets are referenced within the HTML or externally. See if copying the external CSS into the HTML will clean things up. Also make sure that the CSS media is defined for more than just 'screen'.

david jordan

Post by david jordan » 22 Jun 2004, 08:10

mmh, it's possible that this Xtensions isn't compatible with version 6 I suppose.

I've tried with style sheets in line and external, but really the problem is more fundamental; the html is being imported as text, not html.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

JRS

Post by JRS » 22 Jun 2004, 19:19

Looks like the filter uses a peek into the file to determine if it is HTML, and can only handle basic tags. I had a test file that had a DOCTYPE tag at the beginning, and it wanted to be XPress Tags (or if I disabled all text filters other than the HTML Import, used the built-in ASCII filter.) Editing the file contents to start with an HTML tag let it be recognized and imported as formatted text rather than tags.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”