XML import with "Emphasis"?

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
dannykos

Post by dannykos » 03 Mar 2011, 09:46

Hi - I'm new to XML - and have managed to create a DTD and a valid test XML file - which works fine when I import into placeholders.What I want to do is to be able to highlight a particular word in an article, and define that in the XML. Apparently, I should be able to use bold opening and closing tags around the word(s) in question. When I try that though - I just get error messages.I can't post my DTD and XML as the forum just tries to render it!?I was told this is possible (at Quark seminar at Total Publishing yesterday) - but can't make it happen!? Thanks in advance.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 03 Mar 2011, 20:07

Hi! I have played a bit with XML a while back and did not manage to have it work properly. To what I remember, you can assign style sheets to XML entities as you import the data so any tagged word, sentence, paragraph are formated in a wink. Mind to define that tag in the DTD as possible or necessary according to what you wish. Then link the tag to a character style sheet and it should work.
As for posting DTD and XML on the forum, you should try using Firefox (alleging you're on Safari). HTH.

dannykos

Post by dannykos » 04 Mar 2011, 07:05

Thanks for your response.The problem I think is with quark not being able to render HTML tags. I ran my XML through an online validator - and it looked exactly how I would have expected - but because quark sees the file as not HTML, it just ignores the tags totally.The example I found on wiki showing applying a bold or italic style to an part of an element of a DTD file just doesn't work in quark for me.Anyone in a magazine publishing environment who runs an XML first operation care to share how you achieve bold words withiin a story?Thanks.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 06 Mar 2011, 21:00

Are you talking of XML in a Web layout or in a paper layout? Are HTML tags supposed to behave as XML tags?

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 07 Mar 2011, 08:11

Hi Danny,
If you have a structure something like this:

And XML that looks like this:

This is a paragraph with some bold text as well as some italics and even some text which happens to be underlined, and this is how it looks in QuarkXPress. It even works if I use multiple instances of each format like underline and bold... Wow!

(the world's simplest emphasis markup...)you'd be able to drag & drop the "p" placeholder into a textbox, and itll create a placeholder for each emphasis you defined. You can then format each of the emphasis placeholders that gets placed inline in the template, which you can apply formatting to.

When you import the content, the result will look like so:
However, and this is important, if you have those placeholders right next to one another when you apply the formats in placeholder view, their formatting can bleed into the surrounding text, giving a very unsatisfactory look in import view:

To avoid this, when youre applying the formatting to the emphasis placeholders, between each emphasis placeholder, insert a zero width space, which will act as a barrier to stop the formatting bleeding into the surrounding text.
Unfortunately, it appears the forum site has killed the markup in your example, so its hard to see what has caused it not to work with XML Import if it would be possible to get these examples directly, our XML experts would be happy to analyze them and give suggestions how they could be amended to work with XML Import.

Regards
Matthias

dannykos

Post by dannykos » 08 Mar 2011, 10:16

Matthias, many thanks for your comprehensive reply - I will go and try this, and report back - you may well just be a lifesaver! :)

dannykos

Post by dannykos » 10 Mar 2011, 12:12

Matthias, I've cracked it, so many many thanks for your help. I wonder whether part of my struggles was trying to do it in quark 6.52? I'm on 8.5 here at home, but not at work.I'll take this new DTD and XML to work, and see if it works.Thanks again.

dannykos

Post by dannykos » 10 Mar 2011, 12:48

OK, so now i'm stuck again. How do I import multiple XML files into a template, with multiple text boxes?Currently, it fills all the text boxes with the same articles material - rather than putting one in each text box? I can scroll through the various XML files using the placeholder window next/previous buttons - but I can't seem to get them all to appear on the same page at the same time?Thanks in advance.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 17 Mar 2011, 03:47

Hi Danny,
You can do this to an extent:
If you select a folder of XML files, then use the Merge Data button on the end of the placeholders palette, the software will effectively do a mail merge whereby each page in the layout contains the contents of one of the XML files in your folder of XML.
What doesnt work is if you have 2 boxes containing the same placeholder(s) on the same page in that case itll insert duplicate content from file 1s XML on page one, followed by duplicate content from file 2s XML on page 2, rather than file 1s XML in the first box on page one and file 2s XML content in box 2 on page one.
I find the best way to think of XML Import is that its really a mail merge tool for QuarkXPress: if you think of it in those terms, its design makes a lot more sense.

Regards
Matthias

dannykos

Post by dannykos » 17 Mar 2011, 05:57

Matthias, thanks for staying with me on this one! What about if I referenced the various elements with numerical identifiers as in the DTD below. I could then create a single XML file containing all 7 articles, each one's elements referenced as either 1, 2 etc? Would that mean that it would all appear on the same page rather than on 7 different pages?

[img]file:///Users/dannykosifou/Desktop/Picture%201.png[/img]

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”