QuarkXpress 8 XML placeholder window

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
harleymathieson

Post by harleymathieson » 21 Jul 2009, 00:14

After much digging around and some frankly useless replies from Quark Customer Services along the lines of "it'll be ready when it's ready", I got this prompt reply from Tim Banister, General Manager, Desktop Technology"Good day -Our XML Import for our version 8 software and will be available within 60 days. Thanks"within a few hours of me mailing him.This was on the 12th June so I'm waiting with bated breath until mid-September, at which point I will probably make the decision whether or not we should finally make the jump to inDesign if Tim doesn't make good on his promise.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 03 Aug 2009, 21:23

Hi, Tia,
RogueFour wrote:I'm trying out the test drive version of Quark 8 and can't seem to find the placeholder window for XML files.

XML Import (Placeholders) is included in QuarkXPress 8.1:
http://downloads.quark.com/searchresult ... id=2&mid=2
Best
Matthias

harleymathieson

Post by harleymathieson » 03 Aug 2009, 22:46

Well, well, well. Ahead of schedule, Quark have included the XML placeholders in the 8.1 update and also sent me a nice message to inform me of this. Good customer service from Quark? Surely not! Whatever has caused it, I'm happy to see all this progress - as a devoted Quark user, I was beginning to feel battered by all the InDesign brouhaha and bluster. Happy days.

fadeless

Post by fadeless » 12 Jan 2011, 04:09

Hi,
What does it mean when the placeholder entries are underlined? when happens?
thank you!

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 13 Jan 2011, 01:24

Hi fadeless,
where do you see the underlining please? In the layout? If yes, then that just means you formatted the placeholders, so data flowing in will also be underlined.
You can style placeholders like normal text (color, type face, local formatting, style sheets etc.) and when the data replaces the placeholder, it takes over the formatting ofit.
Regards
Matthias

fadeless

Post by fadeless » 13 Jan 2011, 02:06

Hi,
I see the underlining in placeholders window, in placeholder section (at the left of structure). This underlining appear few times and when it appears, when i click "merge data" xpress crashes

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 17 Jan 2011, 10:11

Hi fadeless,
I doubt that underlining has anythign to do with the crash. The manual describes the function of underlining:
SHOW (BUTTON)
Window > Show Placeholders
The Show button is available when a placeholder is selected in the Placeholders list. Clicking Show displays the location of the selected placeholder in the project. Placeholders in the active layout are displayed with underlines, while placeholders in other layouts do not display with underlines.

For solving the crash, please contact our tech support and send them the crash report.
Thanks
Matthias

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”