XML / HTML Export...

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
AnthonyBaratta

XML / HTML Export...

Post by AnthonyBaratta » 07 Mar 2010, 12:30

A client wishes to convert his catalog builtin QuarkXPress to HTMLor XML to assist in dumping key data points about each product into a database. I've been playing with the QuarkXPress Test drive to assist them with this process.
First off, is there a way to change the behaviour of the HTML export so that text areas are not converted to images?
Second, is there a verion of Avenue for QuarkXPress 8? Or what extension should I try to verify and test the XML export functionality?
Is there a best practices method I should be following for output to XML and then into a Database?

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

XML / HTML Export...

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 07 Mar 2010, 18:49

Hi Anthony,
you can specify that for each text box whether they should be converted to images or not (Menu Item > Modify, tab Export).
XML Export out of QuarkXPress 8 is possible via QuarkXPress Server or via 3rd party XTensions available (e.g. from EasyPress).

Best practise for strucured content publishing is "content first" and not "design first", so create your data (in XML) structurally first and then deploy it into the different media (e.g. QuarkXPress Server for Print and Flash, HTML via a CMS etc.).
Thanks
Matthias

blau

XML / HTML Export...

Post by blau » 20 Oct 2010, 01:06

I have a similar problem: I have to extract text from a magazine composed in QuarkXpress (don't know which version) to be used for an ebook project.
The publisher uses a "design first" method that means, the latest uptodate content is in QuarkXpress and not in the original .doc .rtf files. Scraping the text from the output PDF is slow, painful, error-prone. I don't have QuarkXpress, so I must instruct the person at the publisher's to export the magazine in some sort of intermediate format.

In this forum post I found that there is an html/xhtml export function. Is it correct?
t/20543.aspx
If you just need HTML or XHTML, then it is easily created out of QuarkXPress 7 or 8:
[ulist][*]Convert your print layout into a web layout (layout > duplicate).[...]
[*]Export as HTML or XHMTL (file > export > HTML)[/ulist]

gxm

XML / HTML Export...

Post by gxm » 14 Dec 2010, 02:36

we are also working on an XML strategy. using QXP 7 for print pubs. want to export to XML. given that we design in QXP for print first, what is most time-efficient way to achieve this goal?

max.peter

XML / HTML Export...

Post by max.peter » 15 Dec 2010, 00:07

A possible solution:
- you need Quark v.6 and Avenue.Quark XTension
- downgrade your layout to v.6;
- open it in Quark 6;
- use the XML Xtension to convert the layout to XML structure.
Of course, some effects specific to v.7 or v.8 will be lost.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”