Need help with XML. Catalog with image, name, short descript

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
Charlie Echo

Post by Charlie Echo » 13 Apr 2010, 06:20

Guys and gals,I am sure it is on here, but I am a little overwhelmed. Can someone point me in the right direction for setting this up. I am using Quark 7.2. I am hoping the XML plugin for Quark 7.02 and later will do the job that appears to be free on the Quark website plug-ins page. When I import, I get the same image, name and description over and over. What I am I doing wrong? I want it to read in a new image with matching xml files. I have about 400 different items with separate xml files for each. Am I supposed to make a some kind of master XML file, first? If so, how?I have been using Quark for 10 years and never had a need for XML. Now, I need it in a hurry and don't know where to find out how to use it. The Quark website (where I got the plug-in), does not even have a tutorial on how to use it. I can post a sample of the image and the xml text if that would help. But I am a little frustrated since I am in the middle of having to figure this out on my own. Also, I read the tutorial PDF in Xray. But something is not working right. Any help you could provide, would be greatly appreciated.Seems I need to make a DTD. Is that the template?Oh yeah, is this possible in Quark 8? I want to eventually upgrade my other system. I am doing light projects on v8 now. Seems stable so far for production. EchoYes, this is law enforcement related. (The person's name and ID has been changed to a fictitious setting). The fields I need are the full name (First, middle and last) and charges which will flow into a poster with multiple images accordingly. Image

michaelstevens

Post by michaelstevens » 14 Apr 2010, 02:09

Hi Charlie,You are correct, you would need to create a master xml file containing the content of all 400 files, and have a DTD for the file. The DTD is a Document Type Definition, this describes the structure of the xml file that you are going to use.If you can email me a few sample xml files and the QXP Template i can have a look and give you some specific details. (also send you a sample DTD for a master file).my email is mstevens@quark.com.ThanksMichael

michaelstevens

Post by michaelstevens » 14 Apr 2010, 02:31

HiThis is a Quick DTD based on the sample screen shot,If you combined all the files together a DTD could look something like this,This creates a root node of file allowing multiple arrests under the file node.Hope this helps.ThanksMichael

Charlie Echo

Post by Charlie Echo » 14 Apr 2010, 03:05

I don't see anything posted ... But I can send you some samples

Charlie Echo

Post by Charlie Echo » 14 Apr 2010, 03:11

When you say I have to create a file containing all 400 files, I am not sure what you mean. This information will be all new every week. You will have to explain where the time savings comes in, but it sounds like a huge step backwards. Or I just don't understand ...Like I said, I would like to send you some samples. There are a little over 400 files.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”