XML Export does it exist in 8?

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
skippy.com

Post by skippy.com » 15 May 2009, 03:25

I've read a lot of information about being able to export a quark document to XML, but I can't seem to find this capability in v8. I found an XTension for v7 that claims to do it, but I don't think that will work with v8. Can someone dumb this down for me or explain how to do it? I'm not a quark user, I've got to be able to capture some information from the final published product of our marketing staff.

JRS

Post by JRS » 15 May 2009, 10:23

I don't believe any Quark XML XTensions have been released for 8 yet. If you look a few threads down, you'll see an inquiry about the import and placeholders capability going back 9 months, where Quark said the XTensions were being worked on. I have seen no updates and certainly no XTensions, but don't know what the hold-up is or why these capabilities are being ignored.

Joachim Beckers

Post by Joachim Beckers » 06 Jun 2009, 00:37

*bump*come on quark, this is the one feature that is holding me back from upgrading to 8.

JDdog

Post by JDdog » 08 Jun 2009, 15:30

check out XML Author 3.0 from Quark , the last great hope for Quark Inc. Of course it doesn't work with any version of XPress, but MS Word instead, go figure. Rumor abound they are hoping to get bought up by IBM. lol.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 08 Jun 2009, 21:36

Hi, JD,
JDdog wrote:check out XML Author 3.0 from Quark ...Of course it doesn't work with any version of XPress, but MS Word instead, go figure.

The reason is easy, it is a completely different use case and target audience.
QuarkXPress is a design application for professionals, people highly knowledgable and trained in page layout, graphic design and/or output.
XML Author is an XML Editor that makes creating content easy for Subject Matter Experts and Knowledge Workers.
Now if all SMEs and Knowledge Workers would use QuarkXPress, then XML Author would make sense for QuarkXPress.
Most SME/KW I know use Microsoft Word. Therefore XML Author is available for Word. It additionally hides the XML (as which SME/KW wants to see it) and makes sure they stay within the given structure (so don't add elements that wouldn't be allowed in the XMl workflow).
Does that explain it?

Best
Matthias

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 08 Jun 2009, 21:39

Hi, Joachim,
Joachim Beckers wrote:come on quark, this is the one feature that is holding me back from upgrading to 8.

as several people from Quark already wrote in other posts, there are works ongoing. Sorry for not having it available yet.
If you would like to be part of a pre-release test, please let me know (send me an email via the Contact button above this post).
Best
Matthias

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”