How to import XML/ETMv2 coded disk in Quark 7

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
Harold_Medina

Post by Harold_Medina » 02 Jun 2009, 00:02

I'm working in apublishing industry for 9 years and we do more work in InDesign than Quark. ETMv2 and Quark 7are our client requirements and I [strong]MUST[/strong] need to learn this process. We did a lot of XML/ETM in Quark 4 but I don't have idea or find any to explain the process on this higher version.We already prepared ETMv2 compliantcoded disk and my only problem is how to pour this on Quark 7.
In InDesign, there's an "import xml" option, then we map the tag to styles. I did not find anything like this in Quark 7 or am I missing something? extension perhaps?
I will greatly appreciate any help.
Thank you!

Harold_Medina

Post by Harold_Medina » 02 Jun 2009, 01:30

Yes.Can you enumerate the process please?
I have tried the following using the placeholder palette.
1. select XML file using the 1st button
2. select XML file (I use the same file) using the 2nd button
I have items on my structure palette. I tried dragging out each one of them and use the toggle button. The codes are then converted to text but it doesn't map with the paragraph styles on the template. Another problem is, I'm unable to drag out the entire structure as what I am doing in InDesign (I don't want to drag each one of them). In addition, the structures are not in order. All H1, H2, TX, etc... are combined. I don't have tag markers, etc... as what I am expecting.
I have tried this on the XML file I use on InDesign with this code . It may be something different in Quark. Let me know.
Thanks!

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 02 Jun 2009, 01:51

Hi, Harold,
have you read the XML Import document?
I am not sure what you mean with "it doesn't map with the paragraph styles on the template". The placeholders only bring in the content, whereas you do the styling inside QuarkXPress. Is that what you mean, you give your placeholders a formatting andwhen you bring in data it doesn't follow that style?
Thanks
Matthias

Harold_Medina

Post by Harold_Medina » 02 Jun 2009, 02:05

>>have you read the XML Import document?
No. Can you advise where I can get this?
>>I am not sure what you mean with "it doesn't map with the paragraph styles on the template". The placeholders only bring in the content, whereas you do the styling inside QuarkXPress. Is that what you mean, you give your placeholders a formatting andwhen you bring in data it doesn't follow that style?
In InDesign, I can map the XML tag to InDesign styles. For example, the XML tag can be mapped to InDesign paragraph style H1 automatically. I don't have todo the styling inside the indd.Is this not the case in Quark7? Or I may using an incorrect palette or procedure?
Thanks for your help Matthias!
Best,
Harold

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 02 Jun 2009, 20:55

Hi, Harold,
Harold_Medina wrote:Can you advise where I can get this?

It is within the DMG in which you also find the XTensions. I have also put it here: http://www.quarkforums.com/resources/XML%20Import.pdf
In InDesign, I can map the XML tag to InDesign styles. I don't have todo the styling inside the indd.

Well, so you do do the styling in InDesign, as you need to create styles in there, right?
Is thisnot the case in Quark7?

The approach is different, I suppose both have their advantages and disadvantages. In QuarkXPress you bring in elements (placeholders), position and style them and then fill the placeholders with data.
Does that explain it?
Best
Matthias

Harold_Medina

Post by Harold_Medina » 03 Jun 2009, 03:55

Yes. This is a different approach. In InDesign, we set-up the template including styling (nativeInDesign styles)then remapped those styles on XML tag AUTOMATICALLY while you pour the XML data. In Quark, we set-up the template including styling (native Quark styles), then manually style all placeholders before pouring the XML data. Styling twice in Quark, hmm... where is the advantage? But that explains it and we need to live with it.
Follow-up question.
Can we run/pour ETMv1 files in Quark 7?
Cheers!
Harold

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 07 Jun 2009, 20:57

Hi, Harold,
Harold_Medina wrote:This is a different approach.

Importing hierarchical data (XML) and mapping it to a flat structure (style sheets) might work well in certain scenarios, often you need more complex rules and then QuarkXPress' approach is more powerful in these scenarios (by allowing you to place elements anywhere).
If oyu need more power, you can use QuarkXPress Server to automatically contruct documents out of your XML. And to edit te XML you can use XML Author, an XML Editor that hides the XML AND still ensures that you stay valid within your schema.
Styling twice in Quark, hmm...

You do not need to style twice, just apply the style once to the placeholder text.
Can we run/pour ETMv1 files in Quark 7?

As I have never tried it and have no personal experience with ETM, I cannot tell you. I assume ETM uses a DTD, right? If yes, have you tried loading it with XML Import? If not, can you please describe your workflow?
Best regards
Matthias

elpy zee

Post by elpy zee » 08 Jun 2009, 03:09

You may want to contact the client on this one. In my limited experience, ETMv2 uses Autopage, XMLxt, and Xtags, and is more or less designed to work with these extensions. They will probably be required for the xml validation as well.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”