How to handle upper-ASCII characters (entities) in XDOC

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
Dan Feather

Post by Dan Feather » 12 Dec 2007, 13:54

[I'm a newbie at Quark-to-XML, so all info (and references, etc.) are appreciated!]

I've managed to create a fairly serviceable DTD, but one of the things I've not been able to do is to get the "special" characters in my documents to get translated to entities.

Of course, the five default ones (apostrophes, ampersands, . . . ) get converted. But my documents have many more. I've tried adding declarations like the following into my DTD:

BUT, this doesn't work. (When I look at an XML I save-as-standalone using this DTD, the embedded DTD portion has further "translated" the ENTITY declarations. E.g.: )

How can I get this to work?

Many thanks,

Dan

*note: I couldn't figure out how to force this posting to NOT re-translate entities, so I've inserted a space before closing semicolon in each entity.

Thomas Neumaier

Post by Thomas Neumaier » 08 Jan 2008, 06:00

Hi Dan,

QuarkXPress XML Import supports entity names with its actual decimal/hex value. That means all characters work fine if the mapping entity name with its actual decimal/hex value is removed.

e.g. *
In this case the mapping name of character "A with grave" is "Agrave" while its decimal value is 192. So for displaying character "A with grave" you need to replace À with &#192 ; in the XML contents.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”