DTD ignorant

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
ticoytico

DTD ignorant

Post by ticoytico » 13 Jul 2007, 19:53

Hi,

I am trying to import XML into Quark to create a template for several books.

DTP is a field totally new to me. I have worked with XML only for web site coding. I tried to open XML directly from Quark and of course, i got a DTD missing. Can anyone, please, pease tell me how to creat a DTP. Is there a software that I should purchase.

Your help would be highly appreciated. I ahve to give some solid answers to my boss on Monday July 16. Heeelp!

Thank you

thing

DTD ignorant

Post by thing » 14 Jul 2007, 13:49

If you've worked with XML before you surely know that a DTD is a Document Type Definition - a line of code that tells the browser what kind of XML (or HTML etc.,) the site is written in.

http://www.w3schools.com/dtd/default.asp

You write the DTD for the code, or in some cases your web page creation software does - Dreamweaver, for example, pops the correct DTD for the type of code used at the start of the coding.

Now I'm not totally sure I understand what you're trying to do, but I can tell you that you can't get Quark to open XML, it will only import it and then only if you have the correct Xtension installed and active. That Xtension is, I'm pretty sure, default with Quark so you should have it.

There are a lot of other things you're going to need to know though because building a template for books in Quark will be nothing like making a page for the web. Well, in visual terms it might be, but lots of other things are different - for instance you work in CMYK for print, not RGB, and images need to be much higher resolution (web is typically 72dpi, print 300dpi).

Good luck,

Greg

thing

DTD ignorant

Post by thing » 14 Jul 2007, 13:51

PS

This ...

is the DTD for an XML 1.0 transitional page.

See?

ticoytico

DTD ignorant

Post by ticoytico » 14 Jul 2007, 21:45

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your feedback. What I am trying to do is this: We will have 7 different Quark templates with their corresponding XML. What I still need to figure out is how to know what XML goes with what template. It is my understanding that on the XML files there is a code that tells
you what template to use when you are doing all the versions. The will be hundreed of books from the 7 templates

I am using Quark Passport 7. The bif problem is that our client is doing us a test on Monday. Our designners are on vacation, unreachable.

Can you help me please. Any fedback will be highly appreciated.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”