Importing into a catalog layout

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
beckirobins

Importing into a catalog layout

Post by beckirobins » 06 Jul 2007, 16:14

I am designing a catalog, and I think I've mastered the dtd and xml files, and I have a basic understanding of placeholders. What I'm trying to do is import into a catalog layout that goes beyond just a list of products, and there are a few things I can't figure out how to do.

1) I don't want my catalog to just be a long list of products one on top of the other. I want the layout to be staggered, with the first product appearing on the left side of the page, the second product on the right, the third on the left etc. I understand that I can do this with linked text boxes but since my product descriptions are all different lengths this would make it impossible to make sure that each product stayed in its own individual text box on the correct side of the page.

2) How can I import a product image for each product listing? As far as I know, picture boxes can't be linked the same way as text boxes. If I put in multiple picture boxes and give them all an image placeholder, I just get the first image in the XML file in each picture box. Is there a way to make all the pictures appear next to the correct product?

3) Is there some way to do the kind of layout I have in mind (products on both the left and right side of the page) without having to know how many products there are and thus create a separate text box for each product?

Thank you in advance ....

Becki

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”