rule based XML trouble

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
srybak

rule based XML trouble

Post by srybak » 30 May 2007, 09:46

Hi,

I am trying to mark up a very simple Quark file using rules. My file contains a CD title, artist name, album title, and 2 track names. Each one also has a a counterpart in a style sheet.

The DTD is as follows:

[code:1:4824448cd3]

[/code:1:4824448cd3]

I have created rules for me to automate the XML tagging. The rules are working with the following exception: Quark treats a group of tracks (even though each one is separated by a RETURN on the Quark doc) as one track and tags the grouping instead of tagging each one separately.

If I separate the tracks, so that they are not one after another, the tagging works correctly.

Suggestions?

thanks,
susie

JRS

rule based XML trouble

Post by JRS » 30 May 2007, 16:34

Assuming we're talking about the avenue XT, and that you are using a paragraph style sheet rule for mapping tracks, all you need to do is check the option for "New tag for each paragraph" under the style sheet pop-up for the track rule. If that doesn't fix matters, maybe post the XPress version and how the track rule is set up.

- John

srybak

rule based XML trouble

Post by srybak » 31 May 2007, 08:35

thanks!

another question in the same vein: how do i create multiple XML records from one document? Using the CD example, I want to create an XML doc containing all of my albums.

When I try to create the tags, which should give me multiple XML records, Quark only creates one ALBUM element.

susie

JRS

rule based XML trouble

Post by JRS » 31 May 2007, 17:00

Well, I don't have time to try to tweak the DTD right now. But basically you have album as your root element. You need a different root (like Collection), and then you need to define album as allowing one or more occurrences of the element, with the same child elements you have now. Then you'll tag your whole text flow and you'll get a new album started at each occurrence as you want.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”