xml newbie! pls help!

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
srybak

xml newbie! pls help!

Post by srybak » 18 May 2007, 07:30

I am an XML and Quark newbie. I have to convert a quark file to XML. A few questsions:
1. if XML are all custom-defined tags, what does converting mean?
2. what is the best way to do this conversion?

Marc Horne (Quark)

xml newbie! pls help!

Post by Marc Horne (Quark) » 25 May 2007, 16:05

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]srybak:[/strong]I am an XML and Quark newbie. I have to convert a quark file to XML. A few questsions:
1. if XML are all custom-defined tags, what does converting mean?
2. what is the best way to do this conversion?

Good Questions! Here is a quick answer and a link to some resources.

1 - QuarkXPress files are not text files like XML. So the conversion is more the creation of a text file which captures the key features of the document inside a structured XML file. Like you say, the tags are custom defined so everyone is going to have a different sense of what it is they are trying to capture from the page and then how they are going to tag it

2 - There are a couple of approaches. One would be to download the free XML XTensions for QuarkXPress LINK

This takes a different approach in that it accepts more unstructured files and doesn't try to map directly to an existing DTD (the document that defines your tags)

To compare the two I would say that the Quark solution is good for very structured files where you have a firm set of tags, whereas the Atomik solution is much easier to use as long as you or someone else you work with has the skills to transform its output to fit any specific standard you might be trying to comply with.

Marc Horne,
Product Marketing, Quark Inc.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”