Stylesheets not working with placeholders...

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
kidplastik

Post by kidplastik » 20 Aug 2004, 11:30

Okay, so I got my placeholders working. I am able to flow my XML data into the document, and everything looks good except for a few things.

I have assigned several Paragraph styles to different placeholders, when I am veiwing the placeholders, everything appears to be working (as far as the attributes i have assigned). But when i toggle over to the text side, all of the paragraph style attributes are lost. However all of the character styles are still there, very strange.

Any help or input would be very helpful!

THANKS!!

kidplastik

Post by kidplastik » 23 Aug 2004, 12:05

Does nobody know anything about this subject?

Any input would be helpful, please!

haha, I am desperate, there is very little about this subject out there.

THANKS!

Linda

Post by Linda » 27 Aug 2004, 01:43

Sorry Kid, no experience with XML here. I'd guess from others' silence, they don't either. David Blatner's book, Real World XPress 6, has a section on XML. Browse it at your local bookstore and if it's helpful, reward the author with a purchase. [img]emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Jeremy Wadsworth (Quark)

Post by Jeremy Wadsworth (Quark) » 27 Aug 2004, 11:14

I played around with this a bit, and it looks like the paragraph attributes are only lost if the placeholder is at the beginning of the paragraph. This looks like a bug to me. Adding a character before the placeholder (like a space) seems to fix this problem.

--Jeremy

kidplastik

Post by kidplastik » 30 Aug 2004, 11:15

Thanks for your help guys!

Linda: I already have the book and the small section he has about XML import, although helpful, isn't very extensive.

Jeremy: I figured it was a bug, I am currently playing around with the space trick you suggested. Are you working on Quark 6, or Quark 6.1? I was wondering if perhaps the bug would be fixed in version 6.1.

reded13

Post by reded13 » 18 Feb 2005, 11:45

I'm having the same problem and putting a space or character at the beginning of your placeholder does not work! I've tried putting a space, writing some text, placing a picture, rotating the text box, cleaning my font cache, putting a preferences folder, closing one eye, standing on one leg and jumping all around the room quietly singing an ancient chant as an offering to the vengeful quark gods....

and still my text will not be styled. Quark just changes all of my text to helvetica and then flips me the bird. Haf a nice day!

a related post is here: http://www.quark.com/service/forums/vie ... =helvetica

jweitzel

Post by jweitzel » 23 Feb 2005, 06:16

I'm sorry, but more or less the stylesheeds are working on my Mac.
Have a look at every ingredience of the construction, for EDV isn't as bug friendly as men.
At an other forum I asked, whether there is an external DTD and an internal (!) with the document. At the moment of flipping between placeholders and text version there may be the formatting of the external overwritten by the internal DTD.

I think definitly a bug is, that the text is formattet in correctl maner (type face, bold etc) - but the paragraphes have the style "without style" (see the difference!).

reded13

Post by reded13 » 24 Feb 2005, 19:44

Well the stylesheets are working lesser than more on my mac. Yes some of the paragraph attributes are applied but none of the character attributes are- which makes the whole placeholder function pretty worthless. I tried installing quark 6.0 and it does the reverse- type styles are rendered but paragraph styles revert to the "normal" style.

I talked to a very nice quark tech support agent and she tried to be very helpful...but she couldn't replicate the problem on her end which means we couldn't fix the problem on my end. She forwarded the request on to some other department in quarkland which handles these sort of things.

vukers

Post by vukers » 12 Sep 2005, 11:05

I'm encountering the same problems... are there any updates to this issue?

vom491

Post by vom491 » 18 Oct 2005, 14:10

I experienced the same problems with imported XML text not taking the applied styles. However, the text took on whatever my Normal paragraph style was set at, so I modified the Normal paragraph style then created character styles for other styles I wanted to use. Used the Normal style for entire XML text, and used character style for specific instances. It worked for me, maybe it'll work for you.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”