QLA stops handing out licenses

Discuss Quark® License Administrator (QLA) setup and functionality, which allows you to run concurrent licenses of QuarkXPress inside your organization.
kromyn

Post by kromyn » 30 Jan 2012, 06:30

Good Day:I have a QLA server that stops handing out licenses. It will dish out one or two then you get "Unable to locate the QLA server. Click OK to use your emergency key, or click Cancel to exit."I am running the QLA server on an iMac G5(PowerMac8,2) with 1 Gig of RAM, Mac OS 10.4.11.The QLA server version is 4.5(450021).I can click the "refresh" button on the QLA server and it let me get one or two more licenses, then it stops. We have a 53 license version.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sarbjit Singh » 31 Jan 2012, 19:25

Please answer these questions, they will help me understand the setup.

Are you running QLA as a Service or as an Application?
Do you see free licenses when you get this error message?
What is the OS used on the client machines?

kromyn

Post by kromyn » 01 Feb 2012, 05:09

I am pretty sure it is running as an application.The only time I see the QLAserver entry in the Activity Monitor is when the server application has been launched.I know there are free licenses since we have 53 license and no users on our system running Quark.Clients are running 10.6.7Thanks for the reply.Kevin

Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sarbjit Singh » 01 Feb 2012, 18:01

It seems that the error could be due to network congestion. The easiest way would be to let clients "Check Out License" (under the Utilities Menu) so that the license information is stored locally. This way QuarkXPress will not need to be connected to QLA server all the time. However you need to make sure that you have enough licenses for all users and they all use the same machine all the time. If the number of licenses are more than the number of active users, there are no issues with this approach.

rstasel

Post by rstasel » 12 Mar 2012, 19:35

I see this exact same issue, and it's not due to network congestion. It's due to the QLA server being buggy, and hanging, requiring it to be "killed" and restarted. This has been going on for years (as can be seen in the forums) here: t/11196.aspx t/27267.aspxhttp://forums.quark.com/t/24990.aspx t/11186.aspxAny chance we'll ever see a new version of QLA that doesn't constantly do this for everyone?

Return to “Quark License Administrator”