QLA License problems

Discuss Quark® License Administrator (QLA) setup and functionality, which allows you to run concurrent licenses of QuarkXPress inside your organization.
Veei

QLA License problems

Post by Veei » 15 Apr 2009, 13:06

So I'm beyond frustrated trying to get QLA to work. I'm using Windows 2008 x64 Enterprise in a VM environment. One of these servers already has QLA running on it and seems to be working (though you cannot use the QLA program on the server itself anymore, only from the client but that's a different issue). The other server is giving me grief.
Anyway, I have reinstalled multiple times, made sure I'm using the correct port, IP, and MAC address each time. Redownloaded the license file more times that I can count. Put a copy of it in the right folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Quark\Quark_License_Administrator\Server) and even put copies of it in every folder above it just for giggles. The Quark service will not start and with no specific error in the logs except for the following:
QLA.log - LOG14License file does not exist.QLAServerConfigLogMainchkLicenseFile04/15/200917:02:53default user
QLAException.log - 2009-04-15 17:02:53.557
java.lang.Exception: The license file does not exist or is invalid. This process will end.
at com.quark.ConfigLogMain.e(ConfigLogMain.java)
at com.quark.ConfigLogMain.main(ConfigLogMain.java)
Pretty generic and cannot figure out what's going on. I had originally installed JRE 6 Update 13 then tried JRE 5 Update 17. Both with the same results.
If anyone has any ideas how to get this thing to run, I'd very much appreciate it. If I had cookies, I'd offer those too.

Thanks,
Veei

Craig Lanning

QLA License problems

Post by Craig Lanning » 16 Apr 2009, 10:37

HI Veel,
We'll take a look at this and post a response here. From the errors listed it looks like some kind of Java runtive incompatibility. Let me get with our team to see if we can come up with a procedure for Windows 2008.
FYI, we've haven't done certification testing for QLA 4.5 (the current version) since Win 2008 came out later than we released 4.5.
I'll keep you posted.

Veei

QLA License problems

Post by Veei » 16 Apr 2009, 12:08

The problem is resolved. A Quark phone tech support agent helped me. I had forgotten that this was solution on the other 2008 server that QLA is installed on.

Solution:
QLALicense.dat on 2008 does NOT go in the same area as QLASERVER.EXE. The QLALicense.dat file needs to be put in the following directory:
C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Quark\Quark_License_Administrator\Server

My suggestion is that you update the instructions on http://www.quark.com/products/qla to reflect a note for 2008 server users to put the file in the correct area to avoid further frustrations on this issue.

Craig Lanning

QLA License problems

Post by Craig Lanning » 17 Apr 2009, 02:43

Thanks for the heads up, Veei--I'll notify our web team of these changes and have this put into the Knowledge Base.

Veei

QLA License problems

Post by Veei » 17 Apr 2009, 06:27

Not just in your KB. But on the page with the "Download Now" link after submitting the info for your new license to download. 2008 server users shouldn't have to follow directions that don't apply to them and then have to search a KB to find the solution. A special note should be on the same page as the link to download your new license to alleviate any reason to even look at the KB in the first place.

Return to “Quark License Administrator”