QLA port error

Discuss Quark® License Administrator (QLA) setup and functionality, which allows you to run concurrent licenses of QuarkXPress inside your organization.
ccss

QLA port error

Post by ccss » 03 Nov 2008, 20:41

Hi, when i install QLA and download the licence file it works fine untill the machine is restarted and then get the following message
Image i have tried reinstalled QLA, have tried different ports and have also tried running this on a different mac.
i am running OSX 10.5 and QLA 4.5.
any help would be great, thanks.

Manuel S

QLA port error

Post by Manuel S » 03 Nov 2008, 20:45

Hi, as the message says, QLA is probably running as a service in the background.
To verify that, open the Activity Monitor (that you find under Applications/Utilities), and look if there is an active process called Java -- this is the QLA server running as service. If you stop this service, you will be able to relaunch the QLA server manually.
Also make sure that you have not given an identical port number to the main server and to the backup server, as that will not work.

EP Prepress

QLA port error

Post by EP Prepress » 07 Nov 2008, 15:22

How you set the port number on a mac server?
thanks

Manuel S

QLA port error

Post by Manuel S » 09 Nov 2008, 20:35

The port numbers are defined when you generate the QLA licence file, on the online QLA interface. You might also need to verify that the port you are using is not blocked by your firewall settings.

Preeti Kashyap

QLA port error

Post by Preeti Kashyap » 10 Nov 2008, 05:26

Hi,
You can check the open ports by doing a Port scan on your machine.
You can do Port scan by navigating to HDD /Applications/Utilities/Network utility

EP Prepress

QLA port error

Post by EP Prepress » 14 Nov 2008, 06:29

How would I open a port so QLA can use it?

Manuel S

QLA port error

Post by Manuel S » 25 Nov 2008, 01:51

Under Leopard, you can block or open ports via System Preferences > Security (under OSX 10.4 this used to be in the Sharing preference pane). If the setting is on Allow only essential services or Set access for specific services and applications, then you might need to add QuarkXPress on the list of allowed applications.
However, it seems that this firewall is not as efficient as one would imagine, since even with the most restrictive setting, QuarkXPress is able to connect to the QLA server. So it looks like on Leopard this setting doesn't really matter.
For your information, in Tiger it does matter, and if Quark can't reach the server, you should check under System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall if connections through the port defined for QLA are allowed.

EP Prepress

QLA port error

Post by EP Prepress » 02 Feb 2009, 08:48

Does it matter if I have the Primary Server on a Mac OSX 10.5 server and the Backup Server on a Windows Server?
Also, do I just define the port in the QLA license process for the Mac and Win? Do I have to open the port I want to use?
Thanks for the help.

Manuel S

QLA port error

Post by Manuel S » 09 Feb 2009, 03:03

It doesn't matter, you should even be able to run it on a Solaris server. Hovewer be sure to use a different port number for main server and backup server. And use only uppercase when entering the Mac-Adress of the Windows server. And note that the location for the QLALicence.dat file has changed when running the server on Windows 2008 Server and Windows Vista....

pmex

QLA port error

Post by pmex » 02 Mar 2009, 03:46

Manuel S wrote:
Also make sure that you have not given an identical port number to the main server and to the backup server, as that will not work.

How come? There's no record of that in the QLA User Guide.
Is that the reason why our Backup Server seems kind of shaky?
/P-M

Return to “Quark License Administrator”