Remote user license broken

Discuss Quark® License Administrator (QLA) setup and functionality, which allows you to run concurrent licenses of QuarkXPress inside your organization.
helene

Post by helene » 23 Jun 2004, 14:23

I'm having a problem with one of our extended licenses. The user, who is offsite, has a license checked out until next year. Problem is, he tells me that last time he tried to use Quark, he got this message:

Searching for license. Unable to locate QLA Server. The emergency key for this QuarkXPress is Damaged [4241]

The server still says he has a license checked out, but his computer doesn't seem to know that anymore.

Does he have to bring his computer in to fix this? What can we do?

Thanks,

-Helene

BCIP

Post by BCIP » 24 Jun 2004, 16:18

Hello helene

What I have found out is that the file generated for the extended license becomes corrupted if you launch Quark while connected to a network, DSL or cable modems.

What you have to do is disconnect the computer from such connections then launch Quark. You can then reconnect to such devices but once you do this you will not be able to relaunch Quark. I do not think you will be able to relaunch Quark even if you repeat the process of disconnecting before launching. The file will have become corrupted once a network or modem connection is established.

I am going to have a user try copying the file that is generated for the extended license to another spot on the machines HD before launching Quark. When they are done with the session the original file will have become corrupted because of the need to be connected to the internet. I am having them replace the original file with the copy to see if this will become the work around. The file that needs to be copied is in the Quark folder with a .dat ending.

Unfortunately the only fix you have is for the user to bring their machine back in to generate another extended license file. What we have done is installed Quark onto a external firewire pocket drive.

I will not know if this works until sometime next week.

helene

Post by helene » 25 Jun 2004, 10:48

Thanks for your reply. Since my user is on DSL, that seems to be what's wrong here too. I'll wait to ask him to bring his computer back until I hear that your workaround was successful. Otherwise, we're going to have a real problem here, because I obviously can't ask the user (my boss!) to bring his computer in every time he launches Quark!

I'll await your further news.

Thanks,

-Helene

Return to “Quark License Administrator”